Remove Instrument from Bulkhead - DS-10

Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
I need to remove the DS-10 from the bulkhead on my 92 Hunter 30. I suspect Hunter used a high quality adhesive to keep it in place. What is the proper method to remove the unit? Do I use a putty knife and just work it between the unit and bulkhead?

I did verify there is no bracket holding it in place from the inside.

Ideas are appreciated, as I do not want to mark up the gelcoat.

Thank You

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Masking tape around it so your putty knife/fine screwdriver bears on the tape and not the gel coat.. a good plastic putty knife works well here too..If you can get someone inside to put a gentle pressure from the backside, that helps too.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Generally, it would sould sealed with Silcone -- maybe something like 3M 4200 (if they were crazy, but...)

If you can access the instrument from behind, then apply pressure from the inside to let the sealant "give-up" slowly. Be patient. If you have to , then you might come-in from the front with the same principals, You want to wedge it gently and let the elastic deformation become "plastic deformation". You might try a little (not to hot hair dryer or heat gun on LOW.

Before you clean-off all of the old goop, what is your next step? What are you putting in its old place. Are you going to have to cut a modified opening or what?

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Sorry, no experiences to share, but I've been considering doing this myself (in my case I would want to fill the old holes). It would be helpful if you could capture some before/during/after photo's and post them along with your impressions of the process. If your plan is to cover up the holes, I found this video that seems like a good guide.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Feb 25, 2014
I hope to get this done in mid October. Have a couple upcoming races, so do not want to cause any issues.

I was given a DS-150 that should fit. I did verify the unit with my current transducer and it worked. The DS-10 required a 4 inch hold. The DS-150 only needs a once inch hole. I may try to repair the 4 inch hole, then cut a one inch hole in the repaired area.

I will keep you posted, as I move along.

Thank You

Feb 25, 2014
Correct. Once I remove the old (Round) unit, I will have a better idea on moving forward.
'