Hunter 216 keel shackle pulled out during Irma storm surge

Jan 1, 2008
Hunter 216 charleston, sc
Googled up a good post from PN (professional nomad) in Ontario or replacing the 216 shackle connection to the keel. He had the same problem in 2015. I'd like to talk or email with him ASAP to ask about his repair materials and process and what he might do differently next time. Particularly, does he think I can do his repair while the boat is on the lift by assembling the straps and shackle in the cockpit, feeding it down the trailing edge of the keel and drilling the three strap holes that get thru-bolted to the keel. Mr. Earnie, Crazy Dave and other 216 owners might also have some good feedback on this subject. With Maria spinning up close to Irma's track, I'll need to move quickly. Thanks, Bob

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
will do, Dave.
It might work - if the places he needs to drill are below the hull in the slings. I remember the post but not precisely how long the straps he used are. In any case, stainless steel, maybe 3/16 stock? I would think they could be longer if needed to clear in the slings

Jan 1, 2008
Hunter 216 charleston, sc
Dave and Chuck...I'm trying to drag and drop images for you guys to see. I have not been active on the site and have dragged one image in but the site is rejecting a second image. The boat is sitting on standard bunks on a Hi Tide four pile gear drive lift, so I can get at the bottom of the keel in a john boat to drill holes for stainless chain plates or shroud extenders to handle the load, like PN did in 2015 post I Goggled. I'm wondering how well that fix has stood up and whether there is a better engineered approach to the fix. Any thoughts from you old pros would be appreciated. Bob

Attachments