rpd has a quest

rpd

Sep 14, 2017
Macgregor 26x Belledune Nb
I would like to hear experiences of sailors who have sailed or under power on 26x Macgregor and have ventured off shore , for I live in New Brunswick and would like to travel to neighboring island such has Prince Edward Island , Madeline Island which ranges are approximately 60 to 80 miles off shore. and maybe New foundland. Also hope to acquire a 26x 1996,it been sitting in a field for over 4 years with tarp , its in Manitoba some 2500km from home, and comments would be appreciated.

Dec 31, 2012
Catalina 28 mkll #649 Port Charlotte, fl
Rpd, you really need to look up Sumner on this site. he has lots of time with Mac 26..
good luck, brian

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sumner's Mac 26 is one of the Mac 26C class of boats. The "c" stands for classic and includes both the 26S and the 26D. Both are water ballast boats, and still sail rather well. The 26X and 26M are trying to be hybrids between a sailboat and a power boat. Some people like them, other really hate them. So... I guess I'd caution against a first boat being a 26X if you are hoping for a true sailing experience. However it does have a lot of interior room so if you are looking for a nice camp to have on the water.... and are happy only sailing in ideal conditions.....it might be a good choice.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don't think the 26X and "offshore" are compatible. For 60 to 80 mile offshore voyages, I recommend a sailboat that is designed for that kind of thing; well found, rugged, strongly rigged. A Cape Dory 28 comes to mind, and are in the same price range as the Mac.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The ability for a boat to successfully sail offshore rests mostly in the experience of the Captain. The 26X was not designed to go offshore so any good Captain would have his work cut out for him. How do you rate yourself?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The ability for a boat to successfully sail offshore rests mostly in the experience of the Captain. The 26X was not designed to go offshore so any good Captain would have his work cut out for him. How do you rate yourself?
That's baloney, Benni. I don't care who the captain is, if the boat's not seaworthy offshore, you will soon be in trouble.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
I had one on the chesapeake some years back and while it was a fun boat, there were times on the Bay that she was patently unsafe; and it was not the captain. Things flexing and banging and wallowing and so on. While I did over night a few times, anchoring near shore - I only overnighted once going down the bay to get somewhere by morning. She was tender in the winds, and did round up, or lean and spill - but very little in the way of comforts.

I could not imagine cat naps in the cockpit or getting to and fro the head or using said head in anything but calms. Too many edges, tables, seating and so to fall against or worse.

Just not my cup of tea...and to be honest moving up 3 ft to a Sabre 28 would be like night and day for me.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
We had a 26x got it when they first came out. The boats has many things going for it and we had a lot of fun with it. I would NOT take it offshore, its fine in protected waters or close coastal cruising.

rpd

Sep 14, 2017
Macgregor 26x Belledune Nb
I would like to thank all that have responded to my quest, even if I did not get the feedback i was hoping for.
I was thinking that I could escape the harsh sea's by cruising under power, guess I have a lot to learn about open water.
I spent 4 hrs waiting to be rescued on my last venture in the Bay des Chaleurs when my for-stay broke of my 16' catamaran. Unfortunately as I was towed by fisherman's boat just a few hundred feet from breakers wall off the port of Belledune, at excessive speeds my sail where ripped apart, I live 1000' from beach and just want to get out there on the water but a cat
is just to wicked for my age approaching 60. Docking , crane and storage, fees for me are just to great of an expense I need to be independent from all that. I built my first house at 18 and lived many years without electricity, I guess I'm kind off-grid.
thanks again
rpd