USING JACK STANDS ON A TRAILER

Jun 20, 2011
Oday 272le chatham ma
I HAVE A HEAVY DUTY TRAILER (2 AXELS) AND FOUR JACK STANDS. HAS ANYONE USED JACK STANDS TO MODIFY A TRAILER FOR AN ODAY. THE HEIGHT ON THE LOWEST RUNG SEEMS TO BE RIGHT. I CAN ADD INCHES TO THE BOTTOM OF THE KEEL IF NEED BE. THERE SEEMS TO BE SEVERAL SPOTS ON THE TRAILER TO ATTACH THE JACK STANDS. ANY THOUGHTS OR ADVICE WOULD BE WELCOME.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
what is supporting the hull? Or is everything sitting on the keel, and the keel sitting on the lower steel of the trailer?

Not sure what you are using the jack stands for?? Are these automotive type or yard stands?

I would not use jack/yard stands for anything going down the road, as they generally do not lock in place well enough, friction of the weight keeps them stepped in place. Any movement or rattle will cause them to collapse to the lowest setting or spread out leaving the load un-supported.

Similarly, I would not use them directly against the hull, unless you have load plates or something between the jack stand and the glass to spread the load.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Normally, the keel rests on whatever and the jack stands are only necessary to ensure the boat stays upright.
Your post seems to suggest that you intend to use the jackstands as a method of allowing removal of the trailer? If that's the case, why not just float the boat off?

Jun 20, 2011
Oday 272le chatham ma
I HAVE A HEAVY DUTY TRAILER (2 AXELS) AND FOUR JACK STANDS. HAS ANYONE USED JACK STANDS TO MODIFY A TRAILER FOR AN ODAY. THE HEIGHT ON THE LOWEST RUNG SEEMS TO BE RIGHT. I CAN ADD INCHES TO THE BOTTOM OF THE KEEL IF NEED BE. THERE SEEMS TO BE SEVERAL SPOTS ON THE TRAILER TO ATTACH THE JACK STANDS. ANY THOUGHTS OR ADVICE WOULD BE WELCOME.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Add a jam nut to the threaded part for security. Be sure to bolt them down securely to the trailer. Add structure to keep the boat from leaving the trailer in the event of a front end accident. Other that, verify the strength of the trailer

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Folks I would not suggest anything more until we have more information specifically what the intended post is somewhat confusing and a photo is necessary. This would be up my alley having designed sailboat trailers for several manufactures after learning from the best in the industry. @gjaffess please be more informative and specific with photo. if you are having trouble uploading, then tell us what is going on. I am not clear at all with your description.
Crazy Dave Condon

Jun 20, 2011
Oday 272le chatham ma
Folks I would not suggest anything more until we have more information specifically what the intended post is somewhat confusing and a photo is necessary. This would be up my alley having designed sailboat trailers for several manufactures after learning from the best in the industry. @gjaffess please be more informative and specific with photo. if you are having trouble uploading, then tell us what is going on. I am not clear at all with your description.
Crazy Dave Condon

Jun 20, 2011
Oday 272le chatham ma
Hi Crazy Dave. What is your email. I can send you a picture of the trailer. I'm having trouble putting the picture on the forum. You sound like the perfect person for information on the job. Thanks Steve

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Giaffess;
knowing now that you want to convert a power boat trailer into a sailboat trailer, I now have posted your photo which you sent to me. First I do not like advising how to do this as most people do not know how to weld nor have the expertise to refit a trailer like this as there are many variables. To simply attach jack stands temporarily I can tell you no. Without a keel tray the answer is no. I assume you are talking about an Oday 272LE which I think is a fixed keel or a 23 Oday with fixed keel. Is so, then I will make suggestions but under no conition I will except any responsibility. So I will speak in general terms.
The idea of moving your boat on a flatbed with cradle is excellent but we do not know the conditions or where the boat will be moved. Then of course will it be under 13 feet and 6 inches with no mast up. If mast up, is there any overhead obstruction like trees, overhangs, wires and so on.

You trailer would have to be modiefied with a keel tray to carry the weight of the boat. Any type of stands will need to be permanently affixed to the trailer to support the hull up. Then of course the positioning of the stands is important so they will not flex the hull inward. Three needed each side if long distance traveling. I suggest three each side regardless if using adjustable stands or adjustable bunk boards. Then you need to configure where the boat will sit so there is 10% of the weight on the tongue (total weight ) so the trailer will not swerve even though this is a dual axle trailer. Then of course if you do not know how to weld is another issue. A lot of questions my friend. I will invite others to give imput but at least this is a start. One other if trying to launch or retrieve without an extension, the boat will need to be hauled. Like I said, any stands will need to be secured permanently. One other thing. If you weld a keel tray to the undercarage or cross supports, you have to make sure with the weight of the boat on the trailer, nothing interfers with the dual axles.

Not sure if this is the correct trailer as this is a painted trailer vs. galvanized

Crazy Dave Condon

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2011
Oday 272le chatham ma
Giaffess;
knowing now that you want to convert a power boat trailer into a sailboat trailer, I now have posted your photo which you sent to me. First I do not like advising how to do this as most people do not know how to weld nor have the expertise to refit a trailer like this as there are many variables. To simply attach jack stands temporarily I can tell you no. Without a keel tray the answer is no. I assume you are talking about an Oday 272LE which I think is a fixed keel or a 23 Oday with fixed keel. Is so, then I will make suggestions but under no conition I will except any responsibility. So I will speak in general terms.
The idea of moving your boat on a flatbed with cradle is excellent but we do not know the conditions or where the boat will be moved. Then of course will it be under 13 feet and 6 inches with no mast up. If mast up, is there any overhead obstruction like trees, overhangs, wires and so on.

You trailer would have to be modiefied with a keel tray to carry the weight of the boat. Any type of stands will need to be permanently affixed to the trailer to support the hull up. Then of course the positioning of the stands is important so they will not flex the hull inward. Three needed each side if long distance traveling. I suggest three each side regardless if using adjustable stands or adjustable bunk boards. Then you need to configure where the boat will sit so there is 10% of the weight on the tongue (total weight ) so the trailer will not swerve even though this is a dual axle trailer. Then of course if you do not know how to weld is another issue. A lot of questions my friend. I will invite others to give imput but at least this is a start. One other if trying to launch or retrieve without an extension, the boat will need to be hauled. Like I said, any stands will need to be secured permanently. One other thing. If you weld a keel tray to the undercarage or cross supports, you have to make sure with the weight of the boat on the trailer, nothing interfers with the dual axles.

Not sure if this is the correct trailer as this is a painted trailer vs. galvanized

Crazy Dave Condon
Thanks Dave - I do not weld, but I would like to attach the bunk brackets with u bolts. The boat will only be trailed 10 miles twice a year to and from the marina. Can you suggest the right kind of brackets and where I might purchase them. The ODay 23 weighs about 3500 lbs so I guess I would need 6 or 8 brackets. I am putting a 2x10x13 plank across the bottom to support the keel. It looks like I need 24" brackets

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Bear in mind that 80% of the accidents happen within 5 miles of home. You need to have the boat well supported, not just for the boat.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
If you're ingenious enough you can make it work, it might not be legal? So, don't ask to many questions, and remember that if you can walk away from a pile of fiberglass splinters on the side of the road without shedding a tear, you'll be fine! In all seriousness though, it might be safer to just hire a professional for a few hundred bucks if you're only going to haul it a couple of times a year?