ICOM 706 MK II

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Any opinions on this radio for my boat application? Looks like it would serve my purposes and I like that it's compact.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
It is a nice looking radio. Looks like my Yaesu 857D and does just about the same thing as the Yaesu. Do you really need VHF/UHF? I mean it really isn't a hindrance if you do have both bands. But the key is, if the price is right, can't go wrong. And as I have said before, if you don't like it, list it on eBay.

Have you looked at the manual yet? Ease of operation is key for me. that is why I like the IC-707. No bells and no whistles to forget how to use. One of the issues I have with my FT-857D is it has so many features I cannot remember how to do a simple task like store a memory or clear a memory. Heck, I forgot how to unlock the radio and did a system reset. Lost all my settings and I still don't remember how I had the radio setup. This is probably one of my failings.

Looks good and I did some reading on the radio. No major complaints that were consistent. So it looks like it would be a good fit for the boat.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Thanks... we'll see...
I own it now. $415. Not bad since I was going to buy a dual band for the boat for $300+ and now I will have more flexibility. I have to get a compatible antenna tuner. Looking at LDG IT-100. Then I have to figure out how to tie in my KISS counterpoise and figure out how to attach the tuner to the random-wire backstay antenna which terminates about eight feet from where the tuner will be. Any suggestions?

Feb 17, 2006
You saw the post I made of the antenna tuner in a waterproof box? I would suggest going that route. 8 ft is too much GTO-15 to have running below decks since it is part of the antenna. RG8X from the rig to the back of the boat, to the tuner, and then the GTO-15 to the feed of the backstay. This seems to be the normal practice. Don't you already have a tuner? An AT130? that will work. No need to run control lines as the RF will initiate the tuning process. Or just put the radio in AM at low power and key for a few seconds.

You'll get motivated and figure it out. Do you have any GTO-15?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I forgot about that waterproof box. Good idea. I have an AT120 tuner in there now. I guess I ought to see if that will tune before I tear things apart, huh?

Feb 17, 2006
The 706 should work just fine with the 120. Might have to config the radio or the tuner for the correct interface. Check the manuals and see.

Oh... congrats on the new to you radio. :)

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
I had an original 706 that I ran mobile for several years, until someone liked it better than I did.
I liked it very much and the only thing that I had any trouble with was the mike cord, it broke several times.

Fred Villiard K3VKY

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I had an original 706 that I ran mobile for several years, until someone liked it better than I did.
I liked it very much and the only thing that I had any trouble with was the mike cord, it broke several times.

Fred Villiard K3VKY
Thanks, Fred! I'll know where to go with questions. Now all I have to do is sequester myself somewhere for three days to study for my General!
KK6TJW

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
You might want to check out the "antenna grounding" section of the General license study guide. For boats it is exactly the same as for land based antennas (the physics is the same for both!!!) If you think putting your vertical 15 feet above its ground plane radials is a good idea then your golden. Pretty sure that is not done much for a lot of good reasons. On boats we all get advised to "use the back stay" ......... ie put your radiating element 15ish feet above your ground radials.
IMHO put your balun very near the water surface, forgo lots of copper foil inside the boat, tie into the seawater directly using a metal strap from the balun and going directly into the water. The tuner you are using ends up being your balun so .....I'm not thinking this is "best practice" and a more conventional tuner or something like a screwdriver antenna (no tuner required) is a better option. using your tuner equates to: transceiver-->coax-->tuner/balun-->antenna radiating and ground circuits separated by several feet. Standard configurations don't look like that ie transceiver-->coax-->tuner-->coax-->balun-->radiating elements (not separated by more than a few inches BTW)
FWIW

Sep 22, 2013
Catalina 30 NOB Norfolk W5CDR
Rick, I have an Icom 706 MKIIg as well and the AH-4 tuner. That tuner is perfect for sailboat usage and mates perfectly with the 706. They were designed to work together. Hope that helps.
Sean
W5CDR

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
OK, followed Brian's model to put the IT-100 tuner in a waterproof box. Got the largest Comet mobile 2 meter antenna available and worked through the set up and programming for some 2-meter repeaters. Good signal reports 90 miles (mountain top repeater). Tunes the backstay antenna fine it appears. Now to get my General so I can work the HF. Seems like a very versatile radio. Menus are a bit awkward with a bunch of soft keys, but there just isn't enough real estate on the small front panel for anything more. Was going to have it opened for Marine SSB (in an emergency) but given that the CG is hardly monitoring it I will probably just leave it on the standard amateur radio bands. There seem to be plenty of maritime ham nets. Thanks to all for your help!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
While I'm thinking of it, has EchoLink introduced a bunch of trolling into the 2 meter repeaters? I had to remove one repeater from the memory due to the bickering, abusive language and profanity in what were EchoLink connects. Very disappointing.

Feb 17, 2006
Kudos! I would love to say I have finished my project, but it is still sitting in the garage. LOL. I have to replace the rope I installed to support the antenna. Guess I bought the wrong stuff. The rope rotted and broke. :(

Anyway, get that ticket so you can get on the air!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Kudos! I would love to say I have finished my project, but it is still sitting in the garage. LOL. I have to replace the rope I installed to support the antenna. Guess I bought the wrong stuff. The rope rotted and broke. :(

Anyway, get that ticket so you can get on the air!
Brian, it took me a full three months longer than I anticipated to get this done. Trust me that I feel your pain!

Last edited: