Raising height of boom on Yamaha 33

Oct 28, 2015
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow
Hi All, just acquired a 1983 Yamaha 33 tall rig with a bit of work to do. One of the things I would like to do is to raise the boom for several reasons. First to remove it from my temple height, second is to be able to eventually get a decent height dodger added. The standard boom height is ~8.75" below the mast track gate. I would like to raise the boom between 9 and 12 inches. How should I deal with the mast track gate location? Currently, the mast track gate is a problem when raising and lowering the sail as someone must feed the slugs into the track when raising the main and when lowering the main, flaking the sail is a problem as the slugs come out of the gate. A new main, lazy jacks and possibly a Tides Marine SailTrack will happen after the boom raising. Suggestions and pictures welcome. Thanks

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
I don't have any ready solution, but am waiting to hear from others as I have similar desires for my Yamaha 30.
cheers
Craig
Sidney BC

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
talk to a sail loft person about that the only concern i would think would power sacrifice maybe maybe not other than that it sounds like a good plan

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Yamaha 25 MkII Sugar Bay Lake Macquarie
Y25,here is the way I've solved the problem of slugs comming out at the track'gate (see pics)
The trick is to provide a smooth run for
the slugs,cut(grind) out the inside end of the s
20151219_125251.jpg
20151219_125127.jpg
crews

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A friend of mine raised the boom on his Ranger 26. Both boats are masthead rigs that rely on the Jib for power and the main exists to steer the sail plan. Losing a bit of main wasn't that big of a deal - I think he got a PHRF credit but maybe he just talked about it. Anyway he has gone on to do well in club level racing. And, he has a more useable cockpit and a dodger.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
talk to a sail loft person about that
They will be a good source of information, you're not just replacing the old main, you're going with a different size, which they will be able to do, but will need different measurements and they will tell you what to measure.

Nov 18, 2009
Yamaha 33 Tall Rig Nyack, NY
Hi
I had the same issue with mast opening for sail slugs.
I had a machine shop make a "U" shaped cover the slot. which left only 4" opening at top. and installed a gate to allow sail slugs.
will try to send picture later.

Oct 28, 2015
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow
I appreciate all the responses. In order to be ready for cruising season and maximum safety, we have decided on the full Monty. I talked with a shop about moving the mast and he said there aren't any problems. I also talked to the Neil Pryde sail rep about installing the Tides Marine StrongTrack after the boom move and he said no problem. I will drill out the existing 6 rivets and mount the gooseneck into the lower portion of the track gate leaving about 6" of gate still. The sail rep will come measure for the new Cruise Plus main sail, the new strongtrack and Neil Pryde Lazybag. This will be our biggest investment, ~5K, also something that I'll have someone else do. This new setup will allow for lowering and raising the main with very little friction from the cockpit.

Oct 28, 2015
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow
I realized that I never posted pictures of the boom move and new Lazy Bag, Strongtrack and sail. We love the new setup and I no longer have the possibility of the boom hitting me in the ear with an accidental jibe while standing in the cockpit.
IMG_20170825_155925741[1].jpg