Experience with Electromaax External Voltage Regulators

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
Does anyone have any experience with the performance and durability of Electromaax E-MAAX Basic or E-MAAX PRO external voltage regulators used with their high output alternators? I am in the process of ordering a new Marlow-Hunter 40 through a factory direct purchase and have requested an externally regulated alternator to optimize charging for a battery bank consisting of a 480 amp-hr house bank (four 6-volt Victron AGM batteries) and a Group 27 Victron 12-volt AGM start battery. The alternator will likely be 140 amp. Marlow-Hunter has suggested using an Electromaax alternator and external voltage regulator. The E-MAAX regulators appear to be a relatively new product (they used to use Sterling regulators). They have a remote programming and monitoring panel that appears to have a lot flexibility for custom charge profile programming and temperature probes for both the batteries and alternator. https://www.electromaax.com/technology/emaax/

The cost appears to be more than a Balmer MC-614, but the remote panel may be useful for monitoring and troubleshooting. Has anyone used these voltage regulators?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'm just curious as to what kind of alternator mount and belt you have, with that big a bank and alternator.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
I'm just curious as to what kind of alternator mount and belt you have, with that big a bank and alternator.
This is for a new boat. The engine is a Yanmar 4JH57. The standard alternator is an internally regulated 125 Amp. with a saddle mount. I would be satisfied with a 125 Amp alternator, but would prefer an external voltage regulator to get faster charging from the engine. Marlow-Hunter has offered an Electromaax high output alternator with their E-MAAX external voltage regulator. The 140 A alternator comes with a wide serpentine belt drive.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I would go with the 140A alternator and serpentine belt option, but even that is maybe not enough for a 480AH house bank. If that bank gets down to 50%, it will look like a dead short to the alternator! (Kidding). In bulk mode, you would want to charge at c/3, which would be 160A for you. You would want to make sure your regulator limits the current to what your alternator can handle. I's really a thermal limit. Plus, you want some margin in these calculations.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
You would want to make sure your regulator limits the current to what your alternator can handle. I's really a thermal limit. Plus, you want some margin in these calculations.
The advertised programming flexibility and the external control panel of the E-MAAX regulator is what got my attention. The mfr says it will support temperature probes for both the alternator and the batteries to limit current. I'd like some confirmation from users that the controller works as advertised and durability holds up well enough to justify the price.

SG, thanks for the link to Cruisers Forum on problems with Electromaax customer service. There was also a link to Rod Collins project site with a warning about customer service. Not very reassuring.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
I'll second (or third, or whatever) the warnings above regarding their customer service - it's abysmal. They actually make a decent product, but you'd better hope you don't have any issues later that require their help or support. I purchased a full package from them (140A alt, serpentine belt kit, and Balmar 614 regulator). The Balmar they sent me was an obviously used unit that had been superseded years earlier by a newer version. It took 6 months of emails, phone calls, etc to have it replaced despite their admission it had been sent mistakenly, and then only after the Better Business Bureau intervened. There were other issues with them as well that I won't even get into. I'd go with an established company with a good track record.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I had very good experience with them. I installed a Balmar alternator and determined I needed a larger diameter pulley to slow it down. Balmar didnt have one that would would work so I called E-MAX..Forget who I talked to, but he spent a lot time searching his sources and said he came up with one. He charged me a very nominal fee. Several days later it showed up in the mailbox and it was mailed from 30 miles down the road...Balmar!! I opend it up and the pulley was the right size but had it had a spacer around the hole that was an ontegral part of the pulley. Part of the block the pulley was made from...Immediate belt alignment problems....got out my trusty mic and determined if that spacer was gone, things "should" line up perfectly so I took it to a machine shop and they chucked it up in a lathe and removed the spacer and squared everything up. Cost about 15 bucks. Installed on the alternator and installed on the engine with perfect alignment. Called E-MAX back and related my story with thanks and he stated they have a "working" relationship with Balmar.