Sail slide Issue

Oct 27, 2011
O'day 25 Dauphin
My 1976 O'day 25 has a boom track on the mast. When I attempt to move a slide down the mast and encounter the track which extends out from the mast about an inch, the opening in the slide that accepts the fastener to the sail is not visible. It seems I need longer shanked slides - not sure of the correct term. Is this normal? Did the original sail - which I do not have, have different slides near the bottom. Without this, I have to use a sail stop which prevents a jiffy reefing system. Please help.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Can you place the boom at the top of the track so you are not causing the slides to encounter the track when you reef? Pictures would help.

Oct 27, 2011
O'day 25 Dauphin
I'll take pix next time I'm out, but are you saying instead of bringing the sail down to the boom, bring the boom up to the sail up the slide? - it does rise up along the track. Instead of using a cunningham to keep the boom down, I could just use the vang. That way I could still install a jiffy type reefing system...interesting.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I think not. There is some adjustment on SOME masts for boom variation, but not like that.

e.g., the Cunningham attaches to the sail above the tack. It then, bu inreasing tension, would flatten (I.e. Reduce camber, or curvature and move the point of maximum drat forward of the lower portion of the main.

The boom isn't pulled down in a conventional rig, I think your O'day would be pretty conventional?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
His boom sounds like it is mounted on a track on the mast so it slides up and down. I am suggesting moving the attachment to the slide up to the top of the slide. There should be a downhaul on the boom or the slider to hold the boom in position while the halyard for the mainsail holds it in the up position. The cunningham will still work as normal. I had a Catalina 25 that had the boom slide up and down in a track in the mast like is being described if i remember right, it's been about 23 years since i had that boat.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Note: The cunningham should go up through a grommet in the luff of your sail. You need a separate line to hold the boom down, the cunningham is not for pulling down the boom, it is for pulling on the sail to change its' shape relative to the fixed position of the boom. For example a cunningham line can be attached to the boom on one side go up through a grommet in the sail and cleat down on the other side of the boom. The boom is not moving when you pull on that line, the sail is changing shape. Hope this helps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunningham_(sailing)

Oct 27, 2011
O'day 25 Dauphin
Jibes 138 described the mounting accurately, and your info re the cunningham does help. The whole issue will disappear once I find slides with a larger height. You'll understand when you see the pix which will happen after September long. There is only about 6" of travel left in the sail, so moving the boom up isn't really an option that I like. I certainly could run lines aft to facilitate all of that, but...no more lines welcome! I appreciate your input, and I hope someone chimes in with info on the mast gate specific to the oday 25. I can't find a close up pix of that. I am also still wondering if the oem sail had slides with a larger height on the first few, and then...more importantly where to get them. They all seem to be of the same height.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@krantala
I've attached a couple of photos of the boom gooseneck & the boom track it slides on. You can also see the sail slugs and the mast gate, which keeps the slugs from falling out of the mast track.
It sounds like your saying the sail slugs slide down behind the track. The sail slugs should always stay attached to the sail by way of the plastic shackle. The first sail slug & shackle on the main will be above the boom track.
If you reef the main the sail slugs w/shackles will stack up above the boom track. The mast gate will keep them from falling out at the opening where you install the slugs.

I gave up on the sliding boom attachment. It added to much friction to overcome when raising the main. I fixed the boom so the tack was at the black line on the mast.
The one thing different on my gooseneck you will see is I made a bracket that holds the tack ring much closer to the mast than the original pin that held the tack ring. This keeps the front edge of the sail square to the mast, unlike the original sail that angles back to the boom mounted tack pin.

These changes worked very well with the new main I purchased. If you have the original main sail, I would suggest you fix the boom in place, use a cunningham to shape the sail and set up your jiffy reefing. Let the sail slugs stack up on the track and it will be fine.

IMG_4413.jpg IMG_4415.jpg

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Sorry I don't have pictures. I've seen a similar setup and the lower slugs were actually attached via a cord to the sail. This allowed the sail to lay flat on the boom even though the slugs were higher up on the mast track.

The cord was setup such that when the sail was raised it pulled the leach into the mast by making the line tight but when lowered the slugs stopped while the sail, laid flat on the boom.

Again, sorry I don't have pics. I sold the boat several years ago but do recall the setup.

Oct 27, 2011
O'day 25 Dauphin
Thanks for taking the time for the additional info and pix. It confirms there was a mast gate at some point. If I can find a descent pix and measurements, I can make one - I need the shape more than anything - does it curve in at the slot? Also, VH, what you are saying is bringing a recent conversation with a friend to light that I did not understand at all at the time, but you made clearer re the string from slide to sail. I am trying to understand how it can be tight when the sail is up. On my set up, the bottom/first slide is about a foot above the boom. If the slide stopped at that point, the string would need to be long enough to let the tack rest down near the boom yes? It would be tight then, I can envision that, but then when the sail is raised, that same string would now be loose, unless the string is adjustable? Am I understanding it?

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
I wish I had pics. I neve had to adjust the cord when setting he sail. It was long enough to allow the sail and slide to separate but when raised the length was short enough that the sail was pulled towards the slide. The folded sail only needs a little bit of cord to allow for the separation but when raised e distance between slides was enough to pull everything tight.

The boat was a hunter 25 so if anyone has the original setup for one of those you should be able to see how it works.

V

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The above reminds me that when I bought my O'day there was a line weaved in and out of the slugs and their attachment points on the sail, up a couple of feet from the tack. All of the slugs were attached to the sail and the seller didn't know what the line was for. He had replaced some broken slugs.
I wonder if that was what the line was for and since he didn't know its use, he thought the slugs were broken and installed new ones?
Sounds like a nice setup.

Oct 27, 2011
O'day 25 Dauphin
Ward H, your description now makes sense after talking to some people and doing a search. Although it looks like it is set up for a mast gate, one will not be needed as the slugs/slides can stay above the sail stop and the line will allow the sail to drop down a bit. Thanks for the input.