Anchor Setting Comparison (Video)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I'd like to see this test with a Danforth design. Would you mind buying a Danforth anchor, hooking it up, hauling it down to the beach, and dragging it through a few times?
Mainesail ain't the only guy with a truck and a piece of rope. He has shown us how, so if you want more examples run your own tests.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, he has

It's called "humor", Ross.

Maybe you've heard of it.
And he's a great contributor to this mb. I took it somewhat seriously, too, so maybe one man's humor is another man's request for someone else to do more work. :doh:

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
If you want something to be seen as humor SBO offers these cool little things called emoticons..:D;)

I too read it as a serious request. We do get people here who would think nothing of seriously requesting I buy yet another anchor..:doh::eek:

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
You mean there is one you don't own yet???? :eek:

If you want something to be seen as humor SBO offers these cool little things called emoticons..:D;)

I too read it as a serious request. We do get people here who would think nothing of seriously requesting I buy yet another anchor..:doh::eek:

Feb 6, 1998
You mean there is one you don't own yet???? :eek:
Nah just not currently. :D I've probably had a dozen Danforth's over the years but always sold them with the boat. Why have a Danforth when you can have a Fortress?;);)

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Another test request

I'd like to see a test of the anchor in the attached photo. This is an anchor that is currently advertised for sale at a rigging shop near me. A buddy of mine uses it to anchor his 17 foot center console. I keep telling him to get something a little better but he is very stubborn and refuses to listen. I've seen this anchor drag when sitting on the beach with basically no load after fully embedding the anchor by hand as per photo. In a light wind it would probably look to an observer as though helium balloons were pulling it out of the ground. Why they continue to sell this is way beyond me. Maybe PT Barnum was right?
Oh, I added a picture i came across while searching for the anchor photo as an example of the greatest picture of all time.

Attachments

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: Another test request

Just tie a big dog to it and send a cat past the dog. ;)

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
hmmm

And he's a great contributor to this mb. I took it somewhat seriously, too, so maybe one man's humor is another man's request for someone else to do more work. :doh:
That's why I used so many task sentences. I mean, c'mon people. Think of the alternative; I actually want some guy i don't know to buy a $50 anchor, hook it all up, pile it in his vehicle, drive to the baech and drag it through the sand. Oh, I forgot to mention film the whole thing, so I can sit on my rear 1,000 mile away and watch a 10 second video. hmm.

Ok, no more jokes. :doh::naughty:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
That's why I used so many task sentences. I mean, c'mon people. Think of the alternative; I actually want some guy i don't know to buy a $50 anchor, hook it all up, pile it in his vehicle, drive to the baech and drag it through the sand. Oh, I forgot to mention film the whole thing, so I can sit on my rear 1,000 mile away and watch a 10 second video. hmm.

Ok, no more jokes. :doh::naughty:
The world is full of willing people , Those willing to work and those willing to take advantage of them. How can we tell at a distance which you happen to be?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
That's why I used so many task sentences. I mean, c'mon people. Think of the alternative; I actually want some guy i don't know to buy a $50 anchor, hook it all up, pile it in his vehicle, drive to the baech and drag it through the sand. Oh, I forgot to mention film the whole thing, so I can sit on my rear 1,000 mile away and watch a 10 second video. hmm. Ok, no more jokes. :doh::naughty:
Skipper, I saw the humor in that first post when I read it. I was going to point out you forgot to tell (ask?) him to take a picnic lunch. I guess I should have, to add a little levity to the post. Sorry I didn't :doh:

Feb 6, 1998
Skipper, I saw the humor in that first post when I read it. I was going to point out you forgot to tell (ask?) him to take a picnic lunch. I guess I should have, to add a little levity to the post. Sorry I didn't :doh:
What I really need is some bikini clad "Snap-On Tools" calendar type ladies in my videos..:D

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I was going to offer to lend MS a danforth as well as a few other articles

There are always a couple of old PC and other equipment people state would be great boat anchors. Perhaps they would be capable of giving the Rocna a run for the title. :)

MS nice job on the music selection. I am not shopping for one, but next anchor would be a Rocna after seeing the video.

Jun 2, 2004
- - Emery Cove, San Francisco Bay
All the comparison tests I have seen give the CQR bad marks. However, our experience with them has been more than satisfactory. That is not to say the Hydro-bubble, or Rocna, are not superior. In 2008 we anchored early for KFOG Kaboom, off Pier 32 in San Francisco Bay. 50 feet of water, 250 feet of all chain rode and our 65lbs CQR. We always back down hard on the tackle. Our 28,000lb Slocum 43 hung on the hook from about 4:00PM through 10:00PM through a tidal current change and major wind shift. At 10PM it came right up, and it came up clean. We had a similar experience off Angel Island on the Fourth of July. We have spent many nights on the hook in Port St Louis, San Simeon Bay, Phiefer Cove, etc. with no problems. However, when we anchored at Cuevo Valdez, Santa Cruz Island, I had been advised to use two anchors, and I believe my Danforth back-up anchor saved us from a late night re-anchoring fiasco. The story is on http://www.goliard.us.com/history.html scroll down to "The Trip to Santa Cruz Island". From this experience, I have a suspition that there is more to the anchoring puzzle than quick set. There is also release, how it sits in the roller, and how much kelp and muck it brings to the surface.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Stu, real-life reports from one person, plus YOUR natural hatred of things you don't believe in, are hardly anough to overcome the thousands of users who have used CQRs for however many years they've been made. I, for one, don't mind if you speak up for the things you like, but it is in bad form to badmouth excessively those things you don't like, and that other people do.:naughty:
I purchased my first genuine CQR in 1971 and anchored all over the world with one on many many boats until 2012. New gen anchor? Pooh, pooh. An anchor is an anchor, right?
If you are familiar with Admiralty Bay, Bequia, there are these chutes where no anchor seems to hold well. People are always anchoring there because that's where the big spaces are to anchor, when it's crowded. We call anchoring in Bequia 'the drag fest' and I assure you it has nothing to do with guys in dresses. One day a guy came in and dropped his pick in one of these chutes, but amazingly we did not get the show we expected. We didn't get a show because he stayed put, so I hopped in the dinghy and asked him what anchor he was using. He replied, "Rocna."
I began reading about them and asking other Rocna owners about their experiences with these "new gen" anchors. Not one owner had a bad word to say, until the Chinese fabrication fiasco. As that situation was remedied, I felt Rocnas were definitely the anchor to have, but my genuine CQR was just fine because the Rocna @ $1500 was a bit beyond my budget right then. However, as sometimes happens, Neptune decided to intervene and we were able to pick up an 88# Rocna for only $300.00. Heck, at that price it could be a grand experiment at little loss, even if the anchor was crap.
One year later, after diving on the Rocna at almost every set (we are full time liveaboards who live exclusively on the hook), we were certain that there was really something to this "new gen" anchor thing. Rarely did this anchor not set within one anchor length and it has never, ever dragged significantly, even in some of the most notoriously bad anchorages in the Windward and Leeward Islands.
So now, after something over 1800 nights in a whole lot of Caribbean anchorages on that Rocna, the "thousands of users who have used CQRs for however many years they've been made" you mentioned, may love their genuine CQR's (as I did for a whole lot of years), but the genuine CQR anchors are without a doubt inferior anchors and do not do the job they were designed to do as well as the equivalent Rocna anchor, period.
And to add insult to injury, it is almost impossible to sell a used genuine CQR these days for any reasonable amount of money. They are a dime a dozen down here because nobody wants them, even as a second anchor..