Jib furler on 25.5

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
I hope so but did you consider the type of furler that you have in your decision for the length of your line. It looks like you have a double line and not a single line, not sure if the length will be enough. Let us know, hope for the best.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Submarine;
The problem with 3/8 in line in the drum, it will fill up fast thus a long furling line will not fit in the drum. I used a 3/16 inch line which worked well and the manual also says for the furling line either a 5/32 inch or 3/16 line. If a short run a 1/4 line will work but 3/8 I would not recommend for the FF2 system.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
Thanks CDC, I must have the 3/16" line then. My intention was to give him an idea of the length of line from furler to back of cockpit, however he had already ordered and received his line.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I didn't read all of the comments above, but your furler is NOT a Hood furler, but an antiquated CDI furler with a flexible extrusion and they use an internal halyard system. It operates with a continuous looped line, like the Hood LD 810. The boat came from the factory with at least a jib and mainsail halyard which are probably still in the mast. The mainsail halyard is still used to raise the mainsail, but the jib halyard is now obsolete because of the CDI internal halyard system. You may have another halyard for a spinnaker. If you have a spinnaker the halyard will run through a block that is forward of the forestay attached with a bail at the leading edge of the masthead. I hope this helps.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Barnicle bill, I was referencing a FF2 CDI system only based on the above prior to my post. Thank you for catching that. However, I do not think that is a CDI but sure looked like an old Hood system or other vs. CDI but that does call for a 3/8 inch line. It has been many years since I worked with that style furler which is why I say I do not think it is CDI but possibly hood. At least the right line was ordered. Now for the splicing together of that line for a continuous line which that furler calls for.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Keep in mind there are two related conversations going on here. The original poster, Zephyr-jeffer, has the old CDI or Hood or whatever system. Then Submarine added questions about his, which is a more "standard" type with the wind-on drum; some of the comments were about that, not the continuous line one.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The original wind up drum called for a continuous line as I use to splice them all the time; otherwise you would be ordering a lot longer line.

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Arizona
This is my Furlex type A. I think the 3/8" line is a little big to work into where the set screw holds it so I ordered some 5/16" instead.IMG_20170819_110915.jpg

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
I don't know if this will help you any but on my 25.5 I use a 3/8" line with a CDI furler. It is a single line at 30' plus 4 wraps around the drum.
Uh oh. Never thought about this until now. My '96 H235 has 1/4" around that CDI (FF1) furler drum. Completely furled or unfurled (slack) seems pretty safe, but what if I reef the foresail a little? How much torque gets transferred onto it then? The tiny horn cleat for the furler amid ships appears designed for a 1/4" line, but that was likely aftermarket or dealer installed, unless by '96 Hunter was equipping with furlers. I know, I'll ask the dealer. Ha! @Crazy Dave Condon - can you find my paperwork? Should I replace this with 3/8"? Seriously. He was my ship's dealer. I have the bill of sale to prove it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I left the industry when I turned 60 which was not due to retiring or recession but fraud of magnitude ( not sailboat industry) which seriously affected my business causing lost sales. That said I was able to uncover that fraud which affected others as well but took the only way I knew how to avoid bankruptcy was to sell off and pay everyone which I did. I had nothing left but I left being able to hold my head high and can sleep at nights. Even attornies were surprised how I was able to do that. I kept my records for a few years and then disposed of them by being professionally shredded or pulerized. So I have no records left.

A simple picture of the deck hardware would tell me how to respond. However, Hunter at that time did not supply the furlers. A little later they started doing so at my request but it was the dealer who had to install. I cannot say if I supplied that or not and don't even ask. The older we get, we loose a few brain cells so my memory is lacking on that. If the 1/4 inch line works that will suffice but I did install horn cleats vs. fixed open style jam cleats. Never had an issue with horn cleats.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I would guess that 1/4 is strong enough, assuming it is reasonably decent braided line. I can't imagine the furler torque puts that much strain on the line when reefed or you'd have all kinds of problems furling it by hand. That said, some furlers have a hole in the upper drum surface that you can insert a rod into (like a bolt) that locks it from turning. If you have that and are worried, you could lock it when reefed. Of course, to adjust or furl all the way you have to go to the bow again...

Jul 5, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Arizona
For future info, 30' of 5/16 line was the perfect size and length for the single line Furlex Pro-Furler Type A on my 1985 Hunter 25.5.