Replacing floor timbers in H25

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
I have progressed in my H25 rebuild to the point of setting the main bulkhead and mast compression post. However; upon close inspection of the bilge area it was apparent that there was rot in the floor timbers around the limber holes and any other holes made for wires, screws, etc. I elected therefore to cut out the floor section and rebuild all the floor timbers.
In the floor at the main bulkhead there were essentially 3 components; 1) the main timber, to which an (2) additional timber was laminated to sit under the bulkhead, and (3) the framing in the floor pan. In assembly it appears the floor timbers were glassed to the hull and then a structural goop was applied to the tops of the timbers and then the floor pan/structural grid placed on top and bedded into the goop. This created many voids that trapped water.
I will build an e-glass web floor to join the hull to the floor pan and epoxy new mahogany beams in place. Everything will be sealed in glass/epoxy for a complete waterproof assembly.
I'll either build a flange all around the cut out and screw the old floor section back to it or build a grate floor of mahogany finished bright.IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1519.JPG IMG_1520.JPG IMG_1521.JPG IMG_1523.JPG IMG_1524.JPG

Jun 4, 2004
IMG_1525.JPG IMG_1528.JPG Epoxy/fiberglass floor web installed.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Did this job already. Pics in my blog. Replaced old existing structure with 5/4 mahogany, on like 12" centers.

Caveat: DO NOT use anything from HoDePo on this project. Pressure-treated lumber is for gardens, not boats. Get proper boatbuilding-grade materials and do it right.

Jun 4, 2004
Yeah John,
Multiple beams of mahogany will be laminated in against the fiberglass floor web and glassed in all with epoxy. The new assembly will be larger, stiffer, and completely join the floor pan to the hull in the compression post area creating more supporting structure for the main bulkhead and compression post.

Jun 4, 2004
Floor beams at compression post shown individually and temporarily installed. Limber hole yet to be drilled. I will laminate the lower timbers together before installation.IMG_1532.JPG IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1534.JPG

Jun 4, 2004
Update:
Compression post floor timbers finally installed. A few details remain such as flanges for the floor to lay on etc. Then its on to the remaining beams replacement.
IMG_1535.JPG IMG_1559.JPG

Jun 4, 2004
Update: 8/3/17

Today I finished glassing in the three remaining floor beams. Next steps will be to create a flange down the sides for the floor to lay on and paint the bilge before rebonding the floor. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 1986 Lake Lanier, GA
Can't wait to see how you handle the joint between the new floor and the sides. Looks great!