What exactly is considered " similar voltage" and "similar current"...

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
...when talking about PV panel arrays.
In researching using panels of different manufacturers and different wattages, these terms come up often but are never precisely defined.
Here's my situation.
I have been using a Kyocera 140 W panel into a 20a Rouge controller to charge my house bank (4 GC2's). I recently added 4 more batteries, and tried to buy 2 more Kyocera 140w panels. After ordering them, I was told they are no longer available in the US. So, I ordered 2 160w panels (18.2v, 8.80a) and a Victron 50a controller.
Are these voltages and currents "similar" or should I put the 160w panel's in series into the Victron and continue using the Rogue with the Kyocera?
Thanks.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
My simple answer would be to isolate the 4 new batteries to charge from the victron and keep the Rouge on the other 4. This will also provide redundance. Being a past h27 owner cannot muster where can you put 8 batteries at besides the fact of deck space for the panels.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
two controllers on one battery bank is not recommended. the panels in the sun will up the voltage seen by the controller with panels that are partially shaded resulting in the shaded panel controller thinking the batteries are charged and then reducing their output. Silicon solar cells come in only three flavors, polycrystalline, monocrystal and thin film. As long as you stick with one type and your controller can handle the total max output of amps you don't need to do anything other than wire them in parallel. a 1 watt connected to a 10000 watt panel will be compleatly happy producing the same output voltage (assume same illum) but adding their amps together

Sep 2, 2011
My simple answer would be to isolate the 4 new batteries to charge from the victron and keep the Rouge on the other 4. This will also provide redundance. Being a past h27 owner cannot muster where can you put 8 batteries at besides the fact of deck space for the panels.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Sep 2, 2011
As long as you stick with one type and your controller can handle the total max output of amps you don't need to do anything other than wire them in parallel. a 1 watt connected to a 10000 watt panel will be compleatly happy producing the same output voltage (assume same illum) but adding their amps together
Bill, this seems to go contrary to what I've been reading in the solar forums. They are saying that unmatched voltages or currents will default to the lower value panel and the excess current will be wasted.