Petrel AeroCraft 12 ft aluminum sailboat

Aug 13, 2017
Petrel lcn 2 foot aluminu Serial sb 12. 121. Mast says sb 350 Ottawa
I just got a SB-12 Petrel sailboat and in the back are 2 big holes about 2 inches across. The guy said that they are to have plugs in them And that they are for draining the sailboat. He could not find replacement plugs. Are they necessary, could i have them closed in. I know in my motor boat I have them but they Are only one inch across and you have to be going quite fast when you pull them out to drain. So where could i buy the big plugs, if that is what is supose to be there or can i fill them in. Also i have no idea how to set everything up, the ropes the mast, actually, he just gave it all to me and i have to figure it out. Is there a sight i can go to see how to rig it all up. The serial no says. SB-12. 121. But the sail says. Sb 350. Pls can someone help me.

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
Not familiar with the hull, but a hole is a hole. I would caution against anything permanent till you get more info. I would suggest 2" test plugs commonly available at lowes and home depot. Insert them in the holes and turn the thumb screw and they expand until a rubber gasket seals the hole.
Eric

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Tennis Balls
Run a bungee cord through the tennis ball then pull it through the drain hole, now secure the bungee so that there is just enough tension to hold the ball over the hole and your all set.

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
That vessel might sail dry with the holes open, it may be a type of self bailing system, have you tried floating it yet?

Aug 13, 2017
Petrel lcn 2 foot aluminu Serial sb 12. 121. Mast says sb 350 Ottawa
No i have not put it in the water, the holes are only an inch from the bottom, so once i get in it the water will come in

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
used to call this transom flaps. So you had a piece of plexiglass hinged at the top of the hole, pulled to seal by a bit of bungy cord fastened somewhere in the boat. So normally sealed. Post capsize the boat has water in it, loose the bunny cord as you start sailing again all the water rushes to the back of the boat and out the transom flaps, dry in no time.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Actually strike that, the Petrel used funnels to plug those holes. Find a funnel bigger than the hole, bungy cord with a knot in the middle fasten the bungy on the inside of the boat, it is water tight. Post capsize once you are righted release the bungy.