Jabsco macerator pump

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Having a problem with the maceerator pump made by jabsco . Last year late in the fall I replaced the anti siphon / solenoid . Now the pup itself is acting as if it is not getting power . There is a round slotted shaft that comes out of the back of the pump that I can turn fairly easily . The switch is around $89.00 at go to marine and the pump itself is a bit more . I hate replace the pump if it is only the switch . IS there a way to test the switch to tell if it is good by jumping across the terminals ? I have been away for a while is Peggy the Headmistress still on this site ? Thank You in advance for your replies , Mike

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Yep...I'm still here...

If you're referring to a macerator pump that's used to dump a tank, it doesn't need an anti-siphon solenoid valve...and besides, if you're on a lake you can't use it legally anyway. So I'm guessing that you're either asking about a Jabsco macerating electric toilet pump or you've jury rigged an overboard discharge macerator pump to serve as a toilet pump.
Whichever it is, if it's getting power you should at least be able to hear it hum before it overheats and shuts off. If it's not getting power, the problem isn't in the pump, it's in the wiring to the pump--the breaker or the fuse or the connection to the toilet or the power source....or the flush button switch.
Electrical issues aren't my strong suit, so I'm gonna let others for whom it is take it from here.

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Thank You for the quick response . The boat has a 50 gal black water and 50 gal freshwater tank . Not my hunter sailboat . The macerator pump is on the back of the jabsco electric commode . It does have another pump for overboard discharge that can be used to empty into a suitable container and taken somewhere proper and dumped or pumped into a dump station . It makes a small noise but not the loud grinding gurgling it makes when it is working properly . Again thank you for the response , Mike

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
The toilet is a Jabsco 37045 -0012. The part number for the pump is18753-0554 unless it would be the 0582 which is listed as 12 volt emc as opposed to just 12 volt .I have no idea what the emc stands for . The flush fill switch is 37047-1000 In reading thru some of your advice to others I see you are not a big fan of Jabsco . I have replaced a number of things since buying this boat and for the time being would like to be able to replace some parts and keep it working for a bit . Later if I have to replace the entire unit I will . I think labor wise I could pull the entire toilet in less time than to remove the pump and the attendant parts and reassemble it . I had it off its base last year to replace a gasket and trouble shooting the bad anti siphon valve . Thank You Mike

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
OK...here's the owners manual for that one: Jabsco Quiet Flush FW owners manual The exploded drawing and parts list are on page 5. Part # 18753-0554 is just the motor...the pump consists of part #s 14-25 including all the screws and washers. The pump/motor assembly is part # 37072-0092. The pump is well within my area of expertise...it's the motor that I need to hand off to others.

Btw...I didn't have a clue what EMC means either...so I googled "EMC" and learned that it stands for: electromagnetic compatibility..."EMC means nothing more than "an electronic or electrical product shall work as intended in its environment. The electronic or electrical product shall not generate electromagnetic disturbances, which may influence other products". In other words, EMC deals with problems of noise emission as well as noise immunity of electronic and electrical products and systems. Electromagnetic disturbances occur as conducted interference as well as radiated emissions and immunity problems." There's more at http://www.emtest.com/what_is/emv-emc-basics.php if you're interested.

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
OK...here's the owners manual for that one: Jabsco Quiet Flush FW owners manual The exploded drawing and parts list are on page 5. Part # 18753-0554 is just the motor...the pump consists of part #s 14-25 including all the screws and washers. The pump/motor assembly is part # 37072-0092. The pump is well within my area of expertise...it's the motor that I need to hand off to others.

Btw...I didn't have a clue what EMC means either...so I googled "EMC" and learned that it stands for: electromagnetic compatibility..."EMC means nothing more than "an electronic or electrical product shall work as intended in its environment. The electronic or electrical product shall not generate electromagnetic disturbances, which may influence other products". In other words, EMC deals with problems of noise emission as well as noise immunity of electronic and electrical products and systems. Electromagnetic disturbances occur as conducted interference as well as radiated emissions and immunity problems." There's more at http://www.emtest.com/what_is/emv-emc-basics.php if you're interested.
I think that is probably the owners manual I have with the exploded views . Not sure how I determine how much of that needs replaced or whether it could be the switch I mentioned . It is acting as if the batteries are low and it is not getting enough power but the batteries are full charged and even with the generator it still is just barely turning when it does .I do appreciate your help and time you are spending , Mike

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have had the same "motor hum" problem on many DC motors.
My son-in-law the electrician took my hand Rubber Head Mallet and gave the humming motor a gentle "whack".;)
Been working fine ever since.

This is a classic problem on a DC motor that has NOT been used in a long while.
Jim...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It is acting as if the batteries are low and it is not getting enough power but the batteries are full charged and even with the generator it still is just barely turning when it does
That's definitely an indication of low voltage to the toilet. If anything else is on the same circuit, that may be your problem. Electric toilets should always be on a separate dedicated circuit, with its own breaker, shared by nothing else, not even cabin lights. 'Cuz anything else that's on when the toilet is in use will reduce power to the toilet motor. Problem could also be inadequate wire size for the load and/or distance from the power source (always based on the round trip distance)....or a battery that's too small (unlikely, but possible). Put a volt meter on it...check it while flushing. If it's not pulling a full 12v, something is preventing it from getting enough power. Low voltage to the toilet is one of the most common reasons for sluggish discharge...it'll also burn out the motor.

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
That's definitely an indication of low voltage to the toilet. If anything else is on the same circuit, that may be your problem. Electric toilets should always be on a separate dedicated circuit, with its own breaker, shared by nothing else, not even cabin lights. 'Cuz anything else that's on when the toilet is in use will reduce power to the toilet motor. Problem could also be inadequate wire size for the load and/or distance from the power source (always based on the round trip distance)....or a battery that's too small (unlikely, but possible). Put a volt meter on it...check it while flushing. If it's not pulling a full 12v, something is preventing it from getting enough power. Low voltage to the toilet is one of the most common reasons for sluggish discharge...it'll also burn out the motor.
Could the low voltage be caused by a faulty switch panel?

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Makes me think the pump could be binding. Does the hum stop after a while, when it flips the breaker? Have you tried manually turning that screw in the end of the pump while it is still humming? If not, I'd give that a try. If it then starts to run, it is the impeller binding up. I have had many Jabsco macerator pumps lock up repeatedly after awhile. I'm tired of changing out blackwater macerator pumps!

Peggy, what macerator pump do you recommend? I'm referring to one used to pump from the holding tank to overboard.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggy, what macerator pump do you recommend? I'm referring to one used to pump from the holding tank to overboard.
I'm not crazy about any impeller discharge pump 'cuz running dry for longer than about 30 seconds fries the impellers, plus if you don't rinse 'em out before they sit, the impellers stick to the inside of the housing tightly enough to crack a vane. Electric diaphragm pumps cost more, but they can run dry without harm and keep working even when maintenance is neglected. The SeaLand T-Pump, aka "SaniPump" is the best one...I had one on one of my boats that was 11 years old when I sold the boat and still working just fine. Google it to see who has it for the best price.

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
I have not tried to spin the shaft with the pump on . I ordered a new motor and pump . Weekend will see about changing it out , thank you for your comments , Mike ,

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
That would involve changing the entire toilet or will macerator pumps interchange with different models ?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That would involve changing the entire toilet or will macerator pumps interchange with different models ?
Mike you're confusing macerator pumps (pumps intended to dump holding tanks at sea), with macerating TOILET pump and motor assemblies... You have the manual for your toilet ...here's the manual for a Jabsco macerator pump: Jabsco Macerator Pump owner manual When you compare the exploded drawings for each you'll see that they're very different.

So to answer your question...the answer is no..macerator pumps are not interchangeable any macerator toilet pump assembly nor are the macerator toilet pump assemblies interchangeable with different model toilets. However, you can buy just the pump/motor assembly, you don't have to replace the toilet or buy a "conversion" (everything south of the bowl) as long as you buy the assembly for your model toilet. I think you can even replace replace just the motor.

Sep 25, 1999
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Peggy , and everyone who responded . Thank You all for your responses . I replaced the macerator motor and pump . All in all not a bad job . We are back in business and the wife is a happy woman .