Boat Prep for cruising

Jul 16, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Cascade
So taking my first extended cruise on the H23.5. What a long list of projects I've had to tackle! This isn't so much a question thread as it is just me sharing what I've had to do and I'll drop in a few things I'm curious about.

So I'm heading out for 6 days on the San Juan Islands in Northern Washington state. I'll be driving the boat on trailer 580 miles then dumping in at Bellingham, WA where hopefully there will be parking for me to leave my truck and trailer. Me and a friend plan to hit Sucia Island, Stuart Island, Friday Harbor and then two more nights at undetermined anchorages.

The tidal currents are very strong in these islands so I've done a lot of prep on that front. I've printed all the tidal data out though I didn't order paper charts. I did go out to NOAA and cropped out sections along our route that were of interest or I thought we might need to duck into in case of bad weather. I printed these sections out and placed in a binder. The only electronic navigation we are using is Navionics on our mobile phones. There's a 2 week trial free which we'll start once we get to Bellingham. (This is cruising on an extreme budget)

I've had to do a mountain of little projects to get ready. There aren't enough bits and bytes to store it all on this website, but the highlights are:
Glue the motor mount back together after the top split apart while reversing in heavy chop
Replace the companionway hatch boards that the PO "fashioned"
Replaced the standing rigging
New battery, solar panel charger
New, heavy duty mast crutch (Fabricated by Joel at Ruddercraft)
Install new Hawkeye Depth sounder
Replace all the masthead lights
Install a mini-inverter for cellphone/tablet charging
Registered and licensed the boat (after a year of running rogue)
Fix up various trailer problems
And on and on

It's been a great way to get to know the boat. I pretty much know where all the access ports are, all the thru-hull fittings are, and wires go. What a nice simple boat! My old boat was much larger and had so many junction panels and mystery wires. It was daunting.

One concern I have is carrying fuel. I'll be covering about 80-100 miles of cruising. My "tank" holds maybe 3 gallons and burns about a gallon per hour. I'll be traveling about 40-50 miles before I get to anywhere I can refuel. I have 3 - 5 gallon fuel containers which I want to bring, but I used to store fuel cans on the gunwale attached to the stanchions which doesn't really work on the H23.5 as the cabin top extends all the way out. Any ideas on where I can secure 3 largish fuel cans out of the way? I plan on sailing as much as possible, but we have somewhat of a schedule that I don't want to get too far behind.

Here's a quick shot of my new companionway "board". Picked up a piece of 1/4" polycarb for $50. I still need to cut a piece of mahogany to screw into the top so I can lock it, but it turned out really nice. Very few gaps for the bugs to sneak through so I'm really happy with it. The bottom is a little wide so it doesn't rest on the bottom lip, but it keeps it up a little higher to make a nice seal with the hatch top slide which I like. I'll add some pics of the trip when I get back!
20170722_142046.jpg

Jul 16, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Cascade
So I'm able to snug the bolt on the right there all the way down, but it looks like that. It's definitely leaning to the left a bit. The gunk you see under the bolt is some kind of sealant that has broken down. I've got the bolt tightened down as far as it'll go. Everything feels pretty tight, but it looks funny.
20170722_211542.jpg

Jul 16, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Cascade
Here's what I'm gluing back together. The top of the mount broke off above the top bolt. The wood is dried out, but broke when I was reversing in some chop. I've got two days to decide if I'm going to replace it or trust that it will be fine. The weather forecast is calling for 15-25 knots at times and there'll be 2 meter swell in the channels. Should I trust this thing or replace it?
20170722_211524.jpg

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
So I'm able to snug the bolt on the right there all the way down, but it looks like that. It's definitely leaning to the left a bit. The gunk you see under the bolt is some kind of sealant that has broken down. I've got the bolt tightened down as far as it'll go. Everything feels pretty tight, but it looks funny.
View attachment 139054
You can adjust the "tilt" of that U bolt by adjusting the lock nuts on the top that you can see in the pic. The two lock nuts should be at the same height on the u bolt to make it seat evenly. Then just tighten up the underside nuts. I would definitely square it up. Its a little stressed the way it is and it will be biting into the fiberglass.

You're going on a great little adventure. Please share your stories when you get back.

I think for the cost and safety factor, I would replace the motor mount. I keep imagining 2 meter swells and needing the motor. Then at just the wrong moment the motor mount breaks again and the motor falls into the drink. How mush would it be worth then?

Jul 16, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Cascade
Fixed!! I got a pressure treated 2x8 from Home Depot for free. They usually have a discount pile of lumber in the back. They had this pressure treated board that was about 16 feet long and I told him I only needed 5 of it.. and they just cut a chunk off for free. A little sealant on the board and some marine silicon caulking and she's strong as new!
20170723_175134.jpg

Jul 16, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Cascade
I'm glad you pushed me on the issue. When I took the old one off, two of the bolt locations were rotted 3/4 of the way through the wood. There's a good chance that thing would have come loose in even slight chop.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Stackwalker;
The metal brackets used for the Hunter 260 to extend the motor bracket out will work for your boat as well where you can get the motor out further to clear better. Just a thought. You will need to get them from the forum store.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I plan on sailing as much as possible, but we have somewhat of a schedule that I don't want to get too far behind.
Schedule? We don't need no stinkin' schedule. Remember Robert Burns', " the best laid schemes of men and mice..." If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. You'll still be out there cruising. Now, go out and have fun. :)

Jul 16, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Cascade
Who did you get your new standing rigging from?
I'm fortunate to live in the same town where Ruddercraft operates. The owner, Joel is a sailing nut and has all kinds of random spare parts lying around. He had all the cable and was able to swage on new ends for me. Worked really well.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Advice given to my customers, always leave an updated schedule with a family member, friend or whomever. In the event of an emergency whatever it may be, it is best someone knows to get in touch with you or in the event something should happen to you.