Electric Winches

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
I'm interested in upgrading my coach roof manual lewmar winch to electric. I know they make modification kids with either horizontal or vertical motors. My question is with the motor appearance down below. Do they make custom covers for the motors or do they just stick out for your head to hit? It will be going on a 2008 Jeanneau Odyssey 42 DS. Plenty of head room but just wondering if it should be horizontal or vertical motor and how to cover it.
Please don't tell me that I don't need it!! It's for the outhaul and furling of the main sail as well as main halyard.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Lee - can't answer your question but I can come up with another one! Okay .... one of the problems on some boats (your mileage may vary as they say), is that the conductors which tend to be quite large, can be difficult to feed to the winch location after the fact. When the boat is built it's a lot easier. Just wondering if the routing and install of the cables is okay?

And another thought, if the option is available to go with 24V vs 12V, that would make the cables smaller and easier to feed. Otherwise, seems like a good project.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I think you need to make your own cover. There are some collateral items which need to be co-located if they are like my Lewmar primary winches. You should simply look at the Lewmar site and check-out the installation manual.

There are some distances and wiring considerations. Call Annapolis Yacht Sales, they'll probably give you some suggestions.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Have an electric halyard winch on the first 36.7. Had a custom teak box made (cheap) to cover the horizontal (Lewmar) motor. The installs are so different it would be hard to create a standard cover.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
You might consider creating a padded fabric cover. It could match upholstery or match a pillow.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Andersen makes an electric winch with everything above deck. It does sit a little higher due to motor etc

Apr 14, 2010
Thanks to all for their suggestions. If anyone had a picture of a "factory installed" winch motor cover it would be very helpful.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
Have you considered a cordless electric winch handle? No modification to the boat. I've never used one, but I was thinking if I ever wanted an electric winch, that would be my thought.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My Lewmar winch looks like this...
http://www.lewmar.com/node/12119?v=26508

Suggest replacing the winch that is closest to your engine starter battery, since that is the High output Amp source and if you unfurl your main, with engine pointing your boat, the alternator will be charging while using the winch.
700 watt unit has 90 Amp breaker which should be conveniently located.

If your outhaul line is on the opposite side from the battery, use that side winch as a capstan to route the line to the winch.;) In other words all control lines [ port or starboard] can be used with your winch [ just do it slowly]

The electric winch is a Safety tool IMHO. Man Over Board rescue.
But...
I dream of using my winch to haul aboard my 600 lb Yellow Fin TUNA I catch,:D drift fishing.:hook2:
Jim...

PS: Cover? You don't need no stinkin' cover with the Chrome Bronze model.:waycool:

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
:poke:
Have you considered a cordless electric winch handle? No modification to the boat. I've never used one, but I was thinking if I ever wanted an electric winch, that would be my thought.
Now that's funny...I don't care who you are. If you fab one they will be purchased.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Lord, that is an expensive beast! And I thought having an $80 winch handle slide into the drink was a tragedy.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Apr 14, 2010
My Lewmar winch looks like this...
http://www.lewmar.com/node/12119?v=26508

Suggest replacing the winch that is closest to your engine starter battery, since that is the High output Amp source and if you unfurl your main, with engine pointing your boat, the alternator will be charging while using the winch.
700 watt unit has 90 Amp breaker which should be conveniently located.

If your outhaul line is on the opposite side from the battery, use that side winch as a capstan to route the line to the winch.;) In other words all control lines [ port or starboard] can be used with your winch [ just do it slowly]

The electric winch is a Safety tool IMHO. Man Over Board rescue.
But...
I dream of using my winch to haul aboard my 600 lb Yellow Fin TUNA I catch,:D drift fishing.:hook2:
Jim...

PS: Cover? You don't need no stinkin' cover with the Chrome Bronze model.:waycool:
Thanks for the reply. I was not referring to the winch cover. I was referring to the motor cover below in the cabin headliner.

Apr 14, 2010
You can, indeed, buy a cordless, electric winch handle, for about $750. But this is hardly a reasonable substitute for an electric winch, in my opinion. You must still hold the thing against the force it's applying, and as far as reliability goes, I wouldn't want to depend on it. A bit of a gimmick.

http://www.sailrite.com/WinchRite-A...EjHqW22SqmAMI3X6RFZDDEHwlV_VmlWkaAminEALw_wcB
I had this exact item on my last boat for a couple of years and was happy with it...until it stopped working! I sent it back to the manufacturer and they fixed it. I had bought mine at the Annapolis boat show for about $550.00. For my new used boat I am installing an electric winch on the coach roof though.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
Lee, I have a Lewmar electric winch on the starboard side cabin top of my Catalina 400. Just as you plan, I use it for my halyard and main sheet. I also use it to furl my main on the mast furler system. It is a very useful piece of equiptment. It is a relativly easy addition to your boat.

My winch has a cover on the inside of the cabin. It is made of a thin plastic material. It is shaped in a semi-circular shape with a flat bottom. It fits fairly closely to the shape of the winch. It is eithor painted or gel-coated to a color that matches exactly the color of the fiberglass liner of the boat. When you look at it you can't tell that it is a shroud for the winch. When I go down in the next day or two, I'll take a picture of it and post it for you. I've just installed two electric winches for the jib sheets. Yes, decadent. I plan to make similar covers for those winches.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
You can, indeed, buy a cordless, electric winch handle, for about $750.
I bought a WinchRite for my wife. It actually works pretty well. You're right about having to apply the same force you would on a winch handle, but it is also bi-directional, so if you have two-speed winches, at least you can vary the direction and wind in the easy direction faster than by hand.

In the recent past I have been negative on the Winchrite, because ours stopped working. In fairness, we bought it several years ago. However, based on my recent experience with Sailology, the makers of the WinchRite, they repaired it and returned it to me even though it was long out of warranty. Their newer models, which you quoted above, are more robust, and have a much stronger lithium battery than the one ours had. I would buy one again. One advantage of it is that it can be used on all of your winches, so with one handle you can turn all your winches electronically. Something to consider.