Worth adding AC to good old boats?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Lots of prior discussion about makes and types of marine air conditioning but is it ever economicly viable on our good old thirty plus year old boats? The current heat wave makes me think of installing one but would any of the three thousand dollars cost, about 10 % of many old boats value ever be recovered? I do not ever expect to recover on going maintenance costs, however I not consider adding new systems as ongoing maintenance. I am thinking that I might only need three to four weekends a season so perhaps a free standing unit with an exhaust hose would do till trade up time.
Would greatly appreciate the thoughts of those with brokerage experience.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have a 12 or 14,000 stand alone a/c unit. I've used it sparingly, but it keeps my boat pretty cool down here in Texas in all but the hottest months (July and August) even then at night it gets cool enough. It cost about $500.00 and is not stuck on the boat. However, be forewarned it is a PITA to move off and on the boat. I am able to secure it up against the vberth to sail when it's on the boat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I think my wife would keelhaul me if I put AC in the boat before the house. Up here in the PNW we are getting more days where I think it would nice

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
In the PNW, if you put AC on a boat I think you have to wear a burlap shirt with AC painted in red so everyone will know.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
I'm sure glad the prior owner put one in. It gets a little toasty here in Arizona. Some people here put large units over their forward hatches. Ugleeeee! Put it inside your port lazarette and run ducts to the cabins. And BTW you never get all the cost of your upgrades back. Go for it.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
For A/C to be of any use away from the dock you also need a genset. This leads me to believe that A/C is an item for those who do not anchor out much. If you don't want to spend a lot of money try using sun shades over the deck. Mine are made of sail cloth and lower the temp in the boat about 10 deg. They also allow you to keep the hatches open in the rain. Add several 12 volt or battery operated fans and you can beat the heat for the most part. And don't forget that large pool off the stern, very good for cooling off.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I sailed for 30 years without A/C, but am damn glad to have it here on the Bay. It is more than A/C, the good ones have a dehumidification cycle that dry out your boat after a sail outing or while you are away and prevent mildew. Most are reverse cycle, so they provide heat in the shoulder sailing seasons. Here on the Chesapeake a built in A/C will sell an older boat that is otherwise in good condition and in comparison to one that does not have it. It has become an expected amenity.

Sep 23, 2009
Yeah Bill we use that pool off the stern alot but my main concern is sleeping and when in the marina. A standard unit as HM suggested is also a good idea but they are heavy to move around so maybe stand up unit with fixable ductwork out a hatch.

Sep 23, 2009
Thanks for your thoughts Gunni. Your 411 has more space to house it and is also newer. I can see where AC would pay off as an upgrade investment but not so sure about an 1984 boat.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think the real question is how much time you spend on the boat...and if A/C would make your time spent more enjoyable.

I would like A/C on my 1988 O'Day 322, but truthfully, I day sail her most of the time. So A/C for me doesn't really make sense.

But if I spent any nights on the boat, I would add A/C.

Greg

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Wouldn't stay out on the weekends here without it. Today it was 108 and the inside of the boat is relatively cool. Mine is a 12,000 BTU unit and when it craps out I'm going with a 16,000 BTU unit. Whether the cost is recoverable is irrelevant IMO. Question is: will you get more use of the boat as a result of having it? If the answer is Yes, then you have improved the return on the investment in the boat.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
NJLarry, if you are just considering dockside solution try these. I use two of them for sleeping one in each cabin. They have three speeds and I only use the lowest speed. Also good in the cockpit on a hot day while lounging around. Available at Walmart, you will love them!
IMG_0906.JPG

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The current heat wave makes me think of installing one but would any of the three thousand dollars cost, about 10 % of many old boats value ever be recovered?
The short answer to this question is no. Beyond important and routine maintenance, adding stuff to a boat does not generally add much value to the boat. Adding AC, additional electronics, etc, should be done because you want to enjoy the benefit of that improvement. At best new or additional equipment may help the boat sell faster but not necessarily for more money than a similar equally well maintained boat that does not have the extras.

So, if you are tired of being hot and want to enjoy the benefits of AC, by all means install it. Just don't expect the next owner to reimburse you for your expense. After all, he will buying a boat with an old AC unit on it. Something that will need maintenance and repair in the future.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
A window A/c 5000-8000 btu with a small portable generator seems the way to go. If you will only will use it a few weekends or even weeks per year would be cost effective. Easy to sell separate from the boat. Here in Florida I have a built in unit but can't get myself to buy a generator. Just don't like a noisy generator in a quiet anchorage.

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
Guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping the boat and its over all condition. You won't get all your money back upon resale however, it sure makes yours more appealing over the other guys. Its humid here in Michigan and damn near unbearable down below at the dock sometimes. I don't have a gen-set so can't use it off shore power, but typically the breeze while under sail is enough to keep it reasonable in the cabin. Keep in mind you'll be giving up some storage space to install the AC unit and more if you go with a gen-set combo.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
As several others have mentioned, you're not going to recover much, if any, of the cost of adding A/C; however, the boat will be more appealing come sale time. Air conditioning is a personal comfort thing, not an absolute necessity; however, a very nice addition. Here on the Gulf Coast, I wouldn't do without it! Whether it be a carry on, self contained, or just a household unit attached to a hatch is a matter of personal choice and budget. Bottom line is that it makes the boat more pleasurable and usable in those hot summer months. Don't let the age of the boat be the deciding issue.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
In FL, where I sailed for 11 years in and around Tampa Bay, the principal sailing season is in the fall after mid-October through mid-spring (Memorial Day Weekend). In summer when we did go somewhere overnight it was usually to a marina where I could use an A/C-powered window unit to cool the boat. The marinas I visited also had pools, etc.:dancing: I never would have installed a fixed A/C not having a large enough boat (P-30), etc. Ironically, the weather that kept me home most often during the season/year was cold weather (yes, you can have 40-deg F weather in central Florida in fall/winter), not having a real heater in the boat that I could use at anchor or underway. My wife and I talked much more about installing a diesel heating unit than we ever did an A/C unit!! (The ladies HATE cold weather whereas they may merely dislike hot, even if humid, weather!) The boat I have now, the Bavaria 38E, has an installed Espar diesel fired heater, and it is wonderful. Definitely should consider jibes138's (post#12) solution.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Wouldn't stay out on the weekends here without it. Today it was 108 and the inside of the boat is relatively cool. Mine is a 12,000 BTU unit and when it craps out I'm going with a 16,000 BTU unit. Whether the cost is recoverable is irrelevant IMO. Question is: will you get more use of the boat as a result of having it? If the answer is Yes, then you have improved the return on the investment in the boat.
:plus:

I agree with others. The value of any upgrade to these older boats is how much it increases my enjoyment. I've added more than triple the current market value of my old boat in upgrades, and now I have exactly the boat I want.

Here's my a/c solution...

image.jpeg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
NJ,
saw a Cruisair 5000 carry on air conditioner (68lbs) listed in the classified ads on this website. $350., OBO, in Gainesville, Virginia. Take a look at the ad if you're interested.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Economically it is not worth it for 3 to 4 weekends a season. Those free standing units do not work well in boats; they use a hose to exhaust the hot air and that hose acts as a heat radiator but worse the large volume of air that is exhausted must be replaced and it comes back from the hot humid air that seeps in from the outside. But like everything it all depends on your needs; if you only need it at night to sleep comfortably then they do work a little better when the outside temperatures go down some. If you are going that route get a unit that evaporates in the exhaust the water condensation. The best portable AC unit for a boat is a Cruiseair, it works on the same principle of a window unit but has baffles to separate the warm air intake and the cooled air exhaust so it can be placed on a cabin top hatch. The window unit is the cheapest alternative but it works best when placed in the companionway but the downside is that exhausts hot air and condensation into the cockpit and you must climb over it to enter or exit the boat. Boat decks get a lot of sun and are poorly insulated so a lot of heat transfer through to the interior. What cruisers do is have an awning over the cabin top and deck as the air circulation between the two will keep the deck close to ambient temperature which could be 10 degrees cooler than a sun beaten deck. Another trick is to hose the deck down with water as the evaporation will provide some cooling. Anything that can be done to help the air conditioner units will result in better comfort. The window units do not have the ability of a ducted system to distribute cooled to different compartments so the use of fans is necessary to do that. People that install ducted systems into their boats are usually not concerned about the economic impact but are looking for hassle free comfort.