Boat cover for a 146

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
looking for a recommendation for a nice fitting cover that I can use in dry dock with the mast up. Water tight is not an issue. Rather something easy to put on and remove. Since I will be keeping the boat in a friends yard during the winter months, I'd like the cover to look nice. ie: not a blue plastic tarp from walmart.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You will need a light color vented cover for the boat so the heat build up under the cover will not affect the construction of the boat. Most anyone will sell you a cover which will require measuring and so forth. In addition, most do not know the construction of the boat which is critical. I am not sure if the forum store sells any but from the standpoint as a dealer, I was impressed the Sailors Tailor and their web page is:
http://sailorstailor.com/categories.asp
They have the 146 already measured for. Make sure it is a light color and well vented. Call them.

crazy dave

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
if you are going to the expense of a good cover be sure to consider one made of Boat Top, a custom fabric that allows the boat to breathe and does not need vents. I made our first Boat Top cover for our 30 ft sailboat in 1995 with a sail rite sewing machine. when we sold the boat in 07 the boat top was still in great shape and had survived 22 lake erie winter weathers without missing a stitch.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Can you point me to a source for covers made of 'boat top'. Google wasnt very useful . Thanks.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
You will need a light color vented cover for the boat so the heat build up under the cover will not affect the construction of the boat. Most anyone will sell you a cover which will require measuring and so forth. In addition, most do not know the construction of the boat which is critical. I am not sure if the forum store sells any but from the standpoint as a dealer, I was impressed the Sailors Tailor and their web page is:
http://sailorstailor.com/categories.asp
They have the 146 already measured for. Make sure it is a light color and well vented. Call them.

crazy dave
Thanks Dave, as always. Yeah, the price was a bit eye popping. Might be what I need tho.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I spent most of one-year's boat budget on a Sailors' Tailor cover. I was very impressed with the service and advice I got from them and equally impressed with quality of the cover they made for my boat. At first I thought that it was expensive, but now I think that price was fair considering the high value of the product.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
Is it implied that this cover will have all the venting I need for this APC hull?

To tell the truth, the real reason I want this cover is to hide the sails et al. I am keeping the boat in a marina with a notorious security problem. I've lost several outboard motors over the years and know many others that have lost motors as well. Have an electric motor for this boat, that stays in my car .

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Sailors' Tailor will add as many vents as you ask them to. At this point, you should call them for direct answers to your questions.