Interior Finish for Wood

Scott2

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 240 Hayward, WI
I need to refinish the wood on the interior of my C270LE. Any suggestions on which product to use would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Scott

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
My method is to clean it with Murphy's Oil Soap, then apply Watco Teak Oil, which you can get at Menard's or Home Depot. It has a nice sheen.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
For those who varnish, are umpteen coats really necessary for interior work? Visually, I have the results I want after one or two coats. Just wondering, and it fits in the conversation I think.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Gene, what many do not realize with varnish, the first coat should be cut by half to allow the varnish to get into the find pores. That sure cuts down a lot of issues. We did that at my dealership and the wood lasted a lot longer

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Depends on what the interior is made of. Is it teak, or teak veneer? I found this article recently, seems balanced and authoritative. One comment, if someone tells you "this is the only right way to do it," discount that opinion. There are many ways, depending on the environment, the type of wood, the kind of finish you prefer and hope to achieve, and how much time and money you care to spend on it. I know a guy who spent over 500 hours on the interior of his Tartan 3800. Not for me!

http://www.nauticatusa.com/tips/887interiorteak.pdf

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Catalina used a water based varnish on their 270s. I think its still available from Catalina Yachts.
I forgot the brand name of the varnish, but it is satin. Most of the teak is solid, except for the door panels and under the setees.

Last edited: