Anyone up for a San Juans gathering in August?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We are thinking of a few weeks just cruising around up there. We could possibly also hit the Gulf Islands for a few days. We don't have any sort of itinerary yet.

Ken

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sign me up for early to mid August, Ken. My son and his family arrive from Texas August seventh and our tentative sail plan includes Capilano Bridge north of Vancouver, BC, plus points west; Secret Cover, Smuggler Cove, Lasqueti, Nanaimo, etc.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'm in for a few days. My Admiral is heading of for her High school girls gathering and 50th reunion in Michigan. So I'm available for sailing.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Hi Ken, please let us know the details of your itinerary once they kick.
I'll most likely have a better idea around August 1 or so. I was just hoping we could get a few of us together. I'll pm or email those above when we get closer. Most likely post more here too.

Some of our favorites include Reid Harbor on Stewart, Fisherman's Bay, British Camp. Friday Harbor is always good to restock. Each of those has room to meet up, but we are wide open to suggestions.

Oh Sucia too.
Ken

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I'll pm or email those above when we get closer.
The cell phone is always on when I'm out on the boat, which is 425/870-6923. That way the home bound admiral and I can stay in touch. Otherwise, the VHF radio.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Okay, tentative plans We will try to leave on August 1st and should arrive in the San Juans Late in the day August 2nd.
We don't have an itinerary so anyone who wants to meet up, Let's have suggestions for dates. We've been there many times and have our favorites, but I'd like to hear your proposals.

Our daughter is meeting us up there and want's to go to the Gulf Islands while she is onboard. That should make August 14-18 good days for the Gulf Islands. One issue we have is that we aren't plumbed to pump overboard so we will need to hit a pumpout every 2 or 3 days max. Once again no real itinerary so suggestions are appreciated.

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
Ken, I am trying to get a week up there at that time. I'll try to nail down some dates in the next week. I need to make a day stop in Bellingham to take family out for a day sail during the week.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have to do a short haul Aug7 to prep for new engine. Also have some other weekend sailing commitments so lets keep intouch! Ken, pumpouts (that work) are not common in Gulf Is...The hub for that is probably Ganges. chemainus has one but has never worked. Figure out an itinerary and call ahead to see if pumpout is available..if Bedwell does not have one, then think about going to Reid Hbr first which has a manual one on a barge.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I'll be leaving Everett on the 12th for the Islands - will probably try and sail most of the time rather than power up there -- we will see what the wind gods give us. Barlow Bay/Mackay Harbor is almost always on the schedule - Grandma's house (now my brothers) is just around the corner with real showers, also doesn't have the shallow narrow entrance that Fisherman's Bay has.

Trish Needs to be back on the 20th so she can go to work -- I'm so stoked that that part of my life is almost behind me, only 4 more days to wake up and commute to work.

Oct 22, 2014
Les
May you wake up with a smile the next for days, and sleep in with a BIG WIDE Grin on day 5...:biggrin: But knowing you you'll likely wake early :clap:and have to suffer through coffee while Trish heads off to work to help support the family... :dancing:
May the 4 days speed by while you prepare for unlimited sailing...:waycool:

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I have to do a short haul Aug7 to prep for new engine. Also have some other weekend sailing commitments so lets keep intouch! Ken, pumpouts (that work) are not common in Gulf Is...The hub for that is probably Ganges. chemainus has one but has never worked. Figure out an itinerary and call ahead to see if pumpout is available..if Bedwell does not have one, then think about going to Reid Hbr first which has a manual one on a barge.
Thanks for the note. Good advice.
Ken

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'll be leaving Everett on the 12th for the Islands - will probably try and sail most of the time rather than power up there -- we will see what the wind gods give us. Barlow Bay/Mackay Harbor is almost always on the schedule - Grandma's house (now my brothers) is just around the corner with real showers, also doesn't have the shallow narrow entrance that Fisherman's Bay has.

Trish Needs to be back on the 20th so she can go to work -- I'm so stoked that that part of my life is almost behind me, only 4 more days to wake up and commute to work.
Congratulations. I took early retirement in 2011 and it was a great decision.
Ken