Magic carpet ride.

Apr 17, 2013
Hinckley B-40 Annapolis
A few weeks ago while sailing on the Chesapeake I had one of those magical days. I was going from Annapolis to Solomons, a distance of about 50 miles. The wind was predicted to be light and I was prepared to turn on the engine to arrive before dark. Early in the morning the breeze filled in at about 8knts just aft the beam. I set the asymmetrical spinnaker, mizzen stay sail, and with the main and mizzen filled the boat settled in at ~ 6.5knts through the water. I barely touched a thing all the way to Drum Point. It felt like a magic carpet ride.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Good deal! I'm taking my 11 year old grandson sailing this week. I'll keep this song in mind and maybe even make him suffer through it. (I understand now how my father felt when we made him suffer through our {now classic rock} music. Noah thinks what they now call country music really is country music.)

Mar 28, 2017
American Tug 395 Newport
Those "magic carpet ride" days are the one thing I will miss about sailing. We have been lucky enough to spend a lot of time aboard our sailboats in the past 20 years cruising in New England. A month or more in Maine some 18 or so times and a lot of time between Connecticut and the Cape and Islands. Even with all of the time aboard, those magical days were far too few.
I remember setting an asymmetrical kite after leaving Northeast Harbor and holding it all the way to Roque on our little 32' Able once. Simply a wonderful day...
Bruce

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
BruceB1 and CamChain,
I get frustrated with sailboat ownership fairly regularly. I have even considered dropping out. Today was one of those days that makes it all worthwhile. I took my 11 year old grandson for his first sail today. Although it wasn't magic carpet wind it was good wind. But it was definitely a magic carpet day.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
BruceB1 and CamChain,
I get frustrated with sailboat ownership fairly regularly. I have even considered dropping out. Today was one of those days that makes it all worthwhile. I took my 11 year old grandson for his first sail today. Although it wasn't magic carpet wind it was good wind. But it was definitely a magic carpet day.
Cheers, buddy. The "like" button doesn't quite do justice in this case.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
There certainly are days when we remember what sailing is all about. I raced the Lake Ontario 300 last week and the 150 mile leg from Port Credit to Oswego was beautiful with about 15 knots on the beam most of the way, sailing at 8 - 9 knots, up to 10 at times. This was the view most of the way.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That looks like fun, except if the boat off the bow is in the same class and does not owe you time.
Beautiful day.