Companionway teak crib boards

Jun 1, 2017
Catalina 27 Dana Point
My middle companionway teak board has a fracture on the edge. I would like to keep the original teak, but not sure if the wood will glue back together and look decent. Looking online, there are reproduction companionway boards but I would have to purchase all three. Does anyone know a good carpenter in the South Orange County / Dana Point area?

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
I assume you mean a horizontal split along the thin section where the board overlap. If you still have the full piece that has broke off your in luck. Clean each side of the split with acetone. Using a waterproof glue (titebond #3 good and is water cleanup) You can use masking tape as a clamp. Clean any glue that runs out with wet rag. Some should or your not doing it right. If you don't have the piece then a cabinet maker would be a better bet than a carpenter. You don't have to use teak. There isn't a law or anything. Teak is great but expensive. Catalpa is a domestic wood that is very rot resistant and lighter and cheaper than teak. It is a different color and grain but mixing the species can make for a very nice look.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I agree if you can glue it back together its easy and cheep.

If you want to make new....use your existing boards as a template.

There is also a lot of ipe around - It's commonly used for decking and boardwalks - fairly reasonable if you get 11/16 (IIRC). Similar in color - but more tight grained. Very heavy - it is also called iron wood for a reason. I have several hundred board feet behind the shop and some inside. Thick ipe does get pricy, I just paid $11/lft for 2x6x16.
here is a ipe and teak buffet I built
the panels are teak - frames ipe
IPE_Teak-1.jpg
deck is also ipe.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The colors, the deck and the woodworking that went into Les's back yard is stunning.