Lazy Jacks

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
I saw this topic on one of the other forums and while it's not exactly a topic for the sail trim forum, it caught my attention.

What do you guys think of them?? I installed a home made set on my Catalina 30, that was designed by a friend of mine named Skip Meisch. His design allowed the jacks to be folded up against the boom when not in use. I liked that aspect because I don't like stuff (topping lift, lazy jacks) flopping around -- it upsets my karma!! I really liked them while sailing single handed, which I was 95% of the time. A couple of times I really had to drop the sail quickly and it was a big improvement -- normally I would have had the mainsail all over the deck!!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sounds like the Sail Cradle system at Sail Care. It folds up at the mast so you don't have to modify your sail cover. I like my Dutchman system but it requires sail and cover mods. Doesn't have the hangups of a lazyjack system though.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I currently have lazy jacks because the boat came with them and the large roach mainsail on the h320 would be a bear to handle by myself but I still hate them. For many years sailed without them and had the mainsail all over the cockpit perhaps 2-3 times during that time. It was hardly a frequency to prompt me to install them.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had them on my first boat (Hunter 280), and I added a Mack Pack with integral lazy jacks to my current boat (O'Day 322). I did not find the jacks to be overly troublesome , and they made dropping the sail when solo a whole lot easier.

Unless I had a furling main, I would use lazy jacks.

Greg

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I have a home-made lazy jacks and lazy bag (like a Stack Pack) on my Columbia 36. Battens occasionally hang up going up, but the sail always comes down smoothly and under control. I love it.

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
I've converted from the stock dutchman system to the North Sails version of a stack pack when I replaced my sail, and couldn't be happier. I appreciate the clean lines vibe, but the simplicity and efficiency
of this design wins for me. The sails flake and are covered much easier than with the Dutchman or lazyjacks alone. In windier conditions, I can lower the main stress free, and zip up later. There's also less risk of the sail getting stuck than with a furling main system, in my estimation.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Harken makes a nice "kit". You might just buy it, or attempt to copy it.
We had one on our Sabre 42 for eleven years. It worked well. Our current boat has a much larger main, and we use a Dutchman system (it works very well, too).

As for whether you need it, that depends more on you and who you sail with. When we were first sailing, the main on a Santana 21' sailboat seemed like a lot. If you don't have full battens on the lower two battens, then I'm not sure it's that helpful. Then you have the issue of the twisting of the battens (i.e., then you'll need batt cars), etc., etc.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If you want to make a Stack Pack, Sailrite has a kit and their instruction video is on YouTube. Easy build if you sew.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
JBW,

Do you have one without full battens?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have had them all. Lazy Jacks homemade and the Harken kit, Doyle stack pack, and a couple versions of the Neil Pryde Lazy Bag. Love the bag enhancement to the lazy jack concept and with a TidesMarine StrongTrack and full battens I can single hand drop my sail faster than a roller furler can. Moved the jack hang point up to the top spreaders and outboard - that opened the 'throat' and eliminated the need to stow them out of the way. Stay tensioned all the time unless I am on a long tack and want to dress things up.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
The TidesMarine track is great. I love it and if I ever buy another boat it will be installed ASAP.
The Sailcare sail cradle system works, mostly but it is a PITA to use. My Cal came with a kit that I installed before I had the mast stepped and I never cared for it. I modified it into a lazy jack rig after the first season.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Good topic! I was going to ask about this. I have a Dutchman system that works well enough most of the time. The problem is that the sail hangs lower than the boom when folded, limiting the height of the bimini we plan to get (which is important when you are 6'5" tall). I've been thinking about getting a stack pack or equivalent because it seems that the sail flakes above the boom. Is that the case? Any downside to the stack pack and lazy jacks?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I think so because RI tend to make the foot of the sail to tough to take advantage of.

If you let the boom ride up with a topping lift or hard bang, you should keep it off the Bimini?

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
SG, It would be awkward because I want a high dodger also because of the high and long companionway bridge deck on my boat. The boom would have to be angled up at an unreasonable angle, and aesthetics are important, even on an old Hunter.
I get your comment on the lower main, but I assume I can still fly it loose footed to control draft.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
In light air, the boats that I've sailed with a stack pack (which was what I was referring to) seem to have their ability to create an effective shape for the roach reduced.

We had a Dutchman system with a loose footed main, we like it a lot -- but we have well over a 900 SF main. On our Sabre 42 (a while ago), we had a simple Harken lazy jack system, full battens, and batt cars. We didn't have a loose footed main, it seemed to work fine.

I'm not sure how much higher you want the dodger? I know the issue is "ducking" under dodgers on some vessels.

Dec 15, 2021
Northern 29 Toronto
I too am interested in the DIY lazy jack by Skip Meisch and would be interested in hearing from anyone who could answer the question posed by the originator. None of the above replies actually do. There are already thousands of opinions about various mainsail containment sytems on the net.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @campbdon1 to the SBO forum. I too wanted lazy jacks. A member here @Hayden Watson designed the lazy jacks.

I have had the need to use them in unhappy weather and they functioned sweetly.

The lazy jacks can be drawn along the boom up to the mast when not needed. I can cover the sail while the sail is down.

Dec 15, 2021
Northern 29 Toronto
Thank you jssailem for the welcome. I see a few posts on the subject by Mr Watson but no design details. What is the connecton between he and Mr Meisch?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I do not know Meisch.

Hayden is a civil engineer. He came up with a simple design chart that works. Send him a PM and ask about his ideas. He is very talented.