water from hot water tap has sulpher smell

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
I have a Catalina 30 that I bought used and have been working to get back into shape. The water heater does not work (believe it needs an element), but when the hot water tap is turned on, the water that comes out has a "rotten egg" smell. The cold water smells fine. Has anyone run into this?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ewee yucky

You have some work to do. A gift from the previous owner. You may find, if the water heater has seen better days that replacement is the better choice.

Look for Peggie's info on treating foul water. Many posts here. Rotten egg smell means something organic has died.

Clean and sanitize.

Jan 28, 2017
Thanks. I will do a search for peggie's article. Would replace the heater but it is a bit of a job in a Cat 30. May wind up doing this anyway. Wonder if someone has come up with a nice, more compact unit since the boat was built in '88.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There are many units available. I went from an 11gal to a 6.5 gallon unit. Works great. Smaller footprint. Quicker recovery time under shore power and a longer hold time since the new units are insulated with new technology.

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
I used to have same problem. I read somewhere...(this forum) That if you put antifreeze in hot water tank to wintetize....it reacts with anodes. And causes the rotten egg smell that never goes away.

I replaced water tank anode, then
Flushed tank a few times. Smell is completely gone.
Now i just drain hot water tank and bypass it when winterizing. So no antifrreze in it any more. No smell at all

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
You may also have simply lost the anode. Galvanic corrosion also causes that smell (it reduces--in the chemical sense--the sulfate in water to sulfide, causing the smell). Check the anode and replace if needed.

Antifreeze can plate-out (intentionally) on the anode, reducing its effectivness. NEVER put antifreeze in either the hot water heater or the freshwater tank. Empty them.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Although the whole system could likely profit from recommissioning (Stu posted a link to the instructions), that won't cure a "rotten egg" odor that's ONLY in the hot water. As others have already mentioned, galvanic corrosion is what causes that. If you're lucky enough to have a water heater that has a glass lined tank (in which case, it's prob'ly a Raritan), it has a replaceable anode...replacing it is the solution. It's a simple inexpensive job. However, the water heaters you'll find on most boats don't have replaceable anodes...they have galvanized metal tanks. Over time the galvanizing wears off. The only cure: replace the water heater. These water heaters cost a lot less than a Raritan, but cost a whole lot MORE than replaceable anodes.

Jan 28, 2017
Thanks, Peggie. Yes, I followed the winterizing directions and filled the water heater with anti freeze. Probably what got me in trouble. The heater is the original Atwood EHM6-SM. I had planned to replace the heating element but do not think it has a replaceable anode...can you advise? I will continue to research, but may have a new water heater or no water heater in my future. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Jan 28, 2017
Thanks, Stu. Lesson learned. I will read the article and go from there.

Jan 28, 2017
Do you have an Atwood EHM6 heater? If so, where did you find the anode?