Cleat in the anchor locker

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
I have a 1993 Catalina 30. In the anchor locker there is a cleat located at the rear in the middle. It is perfectly placed for tying off the rode and closing the locker hatch when at anchor. The bow cleats don't allow the rode to run fair.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed a "structural" cleat and not just there to secure the end of the rode (to stop it falling overboard).

There does appear to be a backing block in the front of the v-berth (which is the rear of the anchor locker!)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Look to the what the cleat is attached. If it is a structural beam of the boat STRUCTURAL.
If you find it attached to a thin piece of deck trim and no backing plates, tiny screws... DECORATIVE.... Pretty Cleat.

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
As I stated, there does appear to be a "block" in the v-berth but I have know way of knowing if it is structural.
See photo.
V berth.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
V berth looks cosy....

Need to see the photo of the cleat and the location of attachment.
you were concerned about the deck cleats (which are structural) as not having a fair lead. Note when the anchor is set the boat will be swinging from the bow cleat not the bow roller (bow not pointing directly at the anchor.. bow roller not designed to control boat at anchor). The cleat becomes the tie off point. If you select to use a bridal (tie off to both cleats then to the anchor rode) then the lines drop below the bow cleats and your boat sits pretty straight to the anchor. If not it will be pointing slightly to the side of the location of the anchor.

pictures help.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
No, that is not secure enough to tie off anchor

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A cleat is designed to have strength in shear, not tension. So your forward deck cleat is in fact your strong attachment. The locker cleat is there to keep your bitter end on the boat.

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Thanks to all who responded.
Doesn't it seem strange that a well-located cleat positioned IN the anchor locker is not to be used for anchoring and there is no warning message next to the cleat saying something like "For securing bitter end ONLY. NOT to be used for anchoring".

womble

Jan 13, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
Need to see the photo of the cleat and the location of attachment.
you were concerned about the deck cleats (which are structural) as not having a fair lead. Note when the anchor is set the boat will be swinging from the bow cleat not the bow roller (bow not pointing directly at the anchor.. bow roller not designed to control boat at anchor). The cleat becomes the tie off point. If you select to use a bridal (tie off to both cleats then to the anchor rode) then the lines drop below the bow cleats and your boat sits pretty straight to the anchor. If not it will be pointing slightly to the side of the location of the anchor.

If I were to use a bridal from the two bow cleats, how would I attach the rode to the bridal?

Oct 22, 2014
An anchor shackle and a hook.
Here are 2 images.
SnubberCloseup.gif 1-Anchor-bridle-e5d16ae0.jpeg
Do a google search on 'anchor bridle and shackle' for more info.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
You shouldn't use your anchor roller either it should be cleated to either port or starboard cleats. The strain can be too much for the roller. I used that cleat for the bitter end, just in case! I also had a small length of nylon with a chain hook to secure the anchor while in the roller. I cleated that off to the cleat in the locker. gunni is correct

Last edited:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
John,
That works fine depending on how much chain he carries. Also, I'm not a fan of that style chain hook. I used it for years but i did have it come unhooked during a squal at 2:00am in the morning. I was lucky because I had also brought back some nylon to the opposite side so it didn't pay out. I have a Mantis chain hook now. It won't disengage.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
My c-30 does not have that cleat, it's likely a previous owners improvement. That rear of MY anchor locker is not structurally sound enough to bear almost any pressure.

What everybody else said, use the bow cleats.

Oct 22, 2014
Bob we are in agreement about the anchor hook (just happened to be the first image that showed the parts of a bridal). I tend on the conservative side and use a Crosby anchor shackle. More time involved in set up and take down, but as I have aged the time spent to be sure is an investment. I sleep more peacefully.

Oct 22, 2014
Not a problem. You can tie a series of rolling hitches to the rode from the bridle.
Check out the various knots online to identify one you like.

Will the size of your rode allow you to tie off to one of your bow cleats?

If so then you just need a 5 to 10 foot length of of nylon rode (similar in size to your anchor rode) to set up the second leg of the bridle.
Let out and set your anchor.
Then tie the second leg of the bridle to the rode on your boat. Tie the second leg to a bow cleat being sure the line runs from the cleat to the spot on the rode out in front of the boat and under any lines (like life lines). Then let your anchor rode till the two lengths of the bridle are about equal. Tie off the anchor rode to the other bow cleat.
You have a bridle set.
Just reverse the procedure to bring the anchor back in.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I've got the same cleat within the locker on my C36, and it looks and feels pretty structural to me. I've always wondered about it, though. When I open up the compartment in front of my v-berth this winter for capstan maintenance, I'll investigate. As @jssailem noted, there's no way to tell if anything on a boat is adequately secured without inspecting the backing plates.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My c-30 does not have that cleat, it's likely a previous owners improvement.
I'm going with owner mod also. I installed one in my C22, just as a way to secure the bitter end of the rode, and a way to secure the chain to prevent self-launch. It has a 1/4" G10 backing plate, but I still wouldn't trust it much, the locker itself is too thin.

Oct 22, 2014
Good image Gene. I will agree with you, not a cleat I want to trust my boat to at night. With backing plate would likely serve well to help secure the bitter end. But the caution, ( I know there is always a caution from old guys) If the anchor rode is running out due to storm or extreme water conditions, I would be getting ready to some how grab the rode and secure it before that cleat gets hit. I think it was Gunni reminded us that a cleat is best served controlling line in a shear pull.