How to change water heater on 1987 Catalina 30?

Jun 9, 2006
-Catalina -30 Augusta, GA
Need input on how to remove and replace 6 gallon water heater on my 1987 Catalina 30. What information is available since the postings in 2007?

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Need input on how to remove and replace 6 gallon water heater on my 1987 Catalina 30. What information is available since the postings in 2007?
I have an 89. Take drawers in galley out and you will have access. It a tight fit but will come out.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I have a 1988 Mark II and I was checking out our 6 - gallon water heater (nested forward of the fuel tank in the quarter birth) to ensure all was fine and wondered just how do you remove it. It appears that the water tank is snugged in pretty close to the fuel tank and cannot be lifted out, so are you saying that it will slide under the companionway (to port) and is removed through the framework of doors near the cooler? Will that really fit? I did not take measurements of the tank nor the location you are referring too, but that sure sounds like a tight if not impossible space to pull it out. If that indeed is the only way to get the tank out, then this is valuable information and thanks for providing it.

Bob
1988 Mark II

Jun 9, 2006
-Catalina -30 Augusta, GA
I have an 89. Take drawers in galley out and you will have access. It a tight fit but will come out.
Thanks. I'll give this a try. I tried going out the other side (to starboard) and could not make it.

May 26, 2015
Catalina 30 Bristol, RI
So I have a 1987 Cat 30 and the water heater needed replacing. It sprung a leak in the chamber and was basically rotted out.

From reading this thread I figured it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I was wrong.

Sliding it to port it got about four inches before it jambed on the hull before it could rotate upward. I'm sure not boats are exactly the same and there was no room for mine to come out. To reduce the size of the water heater I ended up removing enough screws that held the sheet metal cover together so that I could fold the cover in from the top to reduce the height by an inch or so. It then came out no problem by going in that same port direction.

To put the new one in I just removed all six sides of the sheet metal and it went right in. The mounting flanges are welded to the tank so it wasn't a problem securing it down. I'll add additional insulation to it and tape all the seams so it will actually be better insulated than originally.

May 26, 2015
Catalina 30 Bristol, RI
I'm sure these are put in before the fuel tank is tabbed in. That's the main problem. If they just left a few inches to scoot the heater back and out it would be very helpful.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
What did you do to all those hoses (two for heat exchanger), water hoses, exhaust, head pump out, and fuel that are all behind the drawer unit and heater? It would seem that if your pushing the heater back (port), you would bust them up!! And how did you bend any of the heater housing when their is literally no space on the sides, top and bottom! I am not sure I really understand what you did here with the heater frame considering the lack of room. I am about to try to remove my heater from my 1988. Thanks.

May 26, 2015
Catalina 30 Bristol, RI
Hi Bob,

The only hoses in the way were water and the 5/8 coolant lines from the engine. The rest were outboard of the area that I needed. Yours might be different. My bilge hoses ran athwartship outboard of the drawer area and run under the stove so they weren't a problem.

However the sheet metal was a problem. The easiest method would be to cut all the sheet metal screws off with a sawsall. After you can then remove the front a rear cover, bend down the top and then it came right out.

For the new one I just removed all the sheet metal and the sheet metal ground line. Note that the tank still needs to be grounded to the AC line. The welded on tabs on the bottom were used for securing it to the wood base that's glassed to the hull. I still need to add a bit more insulation and that's it.

Note that the AC bits won't pass UL in this configuration so care should be taken to make sure everything is as proper as you can make it. There is a interior cover for the heater snap switches and the heating element and I just left that in place and added extra electrical tape as good measure.

Lastly, I'd say try and see if it comes out whole. If not, you have a plan B.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Thanks. Your experience with the tank has been a great help.

Since I am getting hot water via the engine and the boat has lived its life in fresh water, the tank appears sound and intact and worth keeping FOR NOW! Its the heating coil unit I need to replace and it looks like I have to pull the tank back to get it out. The "L" shaped metal mounting plate that surrounds the heating coil that anchors the front to the wood block must be taken off in order to unscrew the heading coil unit and replace it. Its the cheaper fix! That's the big challenge now! I have to push the tank backwards and up to get it off.

The placement of the water heater and the difficulty in removal is a bad design by Catalina. They could have mounted the fuel tank further aft by a few inches to allow the tank to simply come up or reduced the size of the fiberglass recessed lip that holds the compartment access board. Add to that, that the replacement tanks are longer, makes replacement a logistical nightmare.

Bob

May 26, 2015
Catalina 30 Bristol, RI
There's definitely enough space above the fuel tank to move it back a few inches.

Regarding replacing the heating element, I suggest snipping away the end panel sheetmetal that's preventing the aluminum bracket from coming out. It's only about a half inch that needs cut on both sides of the bracket and then you can free the bracket and take out the element. My whole tank was wasted so I needed to replace the whole thing. I still can't believe the Surveyor missed this, but there were a few other things missed as well and I realize they can't catch everything.

Good luck!

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Thanks Tucker. That's an excellent suggestion, however; I thought that the mounting plate not only served the need to mount the front of the heater but to support the heating element unit as well. The bracket has the four bolt holes that retain the heating unit.

Attachments

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I wanted to post a few photos for those who were wondering about the water heater placement and how tough it might be to remove. I removed the drawers and drawer frame out of the galley. What you do not see is the foot pump and several hoses and lines running fore and aft in that area. These are the heat exchange hoses, fresh water hoses, head pump-out hose, vent (bilge blower hose, etc). The heater cannot be pulled forward, lifted up (under the fiberglass lip) and might be extremely difficult to pull back and lift to remove.

Bob

May 26, 2015
Catalina 30 Bristol, RI
You'll keep the mounting bracket and use it. I'm just saying that in order to get it removed, and then remove the heating element, you'll need to cut away the sheetmetal that's preventing you from removing the bracket once the four bolts are removed and the two mounting screws are removed. The heating unit has a rubber gasket that gets compressed by that bracket when the four bolts are tightened down and this forms the seal.

May 26, 2015
Catalina 30 Bristol, RI
See attached for where to cut the end panel to be able to remove the bracket. Alternatively you can cut the sheet metal screws out with a sawsall, but that's difficult to get at the bottom screws.

Attachments

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Got it......thanks.
I see that the bracket once reinstalled will secure the front end of the heater.

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
Bob, I am trying to get the heating element out and are baffled by t)he square metal retaining plate that holds the element in (even after the four bolts are removed. Did you say that it is connected to the tab that holds the water heater to the hull? How did you get it to release?

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
The heater element screws in, but removing it in my case was impossible! One of the bolts holding the plate stripped and I had no choice but to remove and replace the heater. I never replaced the element. If the plate comes off, but cannot be pulled back you might have to cut the lower frame member (see photos) to remove that holding plate. Then you are challenged with replacing it so the heater does not shift. The whole process was a pain and it came down to the thickness of the board used to mount the heater installed by the factory. If you can slide the tank out via the drawer unit in the galley, your better off working on it off the mounts. Remember though that you have two hoses coming off the heat exchanger in the back of the tank so you have to close the water intake (thru hull) and block the fresh water hoses. I had to cut fiberglass to remove and replace the tank. Good luck.

Bob
Mark II

Bob

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
Thanks, Bob. I am beginning to wonder if I really need hot water that badly...I will let you know how it goes.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
If by chance you have to replace your water heater and you cannot slip it backwards through the drawer unit, here is what you end up doing. Cutting fiberglass to get it out and back in! Bob.

Attachments