How much rake for unter 31 mast?

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
I am trying to tune my "new to me" 1984 Hunter 31 B&R mast and I have found a couple of very useful online sites about the topic. According to all I have read my mast needs about 4.5 inches of pre-bend in it and this is what I set it at before stepping the mast. I am assuming the previous owner did not alter the adjustment under the roller furling when he took it down last fall. The problem is, with the mast stepped, I put a weight on the main halyard and let it hang down just above the deck and it hangs about a foot aft of the bottom of the mast. If I am correct in my interpretation of what I have read, it should hang close in to the bottom of the mast as any excessive rake will cause weather helm. Can anyone please tell me just how much rake they have found to be best (in terms of how far aft of the mast the halyard hangs). Also, apparently this mast does not require a backstay unless you are going to fly a spinacre. I do not have a spinacre but I do have a backstay. I have found that once the mast is tuned, unless I leave the backstay very sloppy, it throws out the tuning of my shrouds. Any comments on this issue would be very well received. Obviously I have never tuned a B&R rig before. Thanks, Reg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Search this forum and Google there is a lot of info on tuning b &r rig but ya got to take in info and come up with what works best for you

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 31 Kingsville, Ontario, Canada
Hi Reg
The 1 foot of rake (that is about what I run on mine) should be fine for the rig as long as you have the 4.5" of pre-bend. The backstay is needed (not just when a spinnaker is being used) - that being said I do not use the backstay tension adjuster as this will change the tune of the B & R rig (loosens off the aft outer shrouds and then the rig drops off to leeward) and I find that it does not accomplish much (tensioning the forestay) the reality is the B & R rig should have a hydraulic forestay to tighten the forestay (as on Lindenberg designs) rather than using the spilt backstay with an adjuster. If you find that you have too much weather helm on a regular basis it is important to make sure you have good sails (a bagged out main causes weather helm as well), make sure your rig is tuned well according to the manual then you can look at tightening the turn buckle in the furling unit to pull the mast forward a bit.
Good luck with it! They are a great boat...

Mike

SeanP

Jun 6, 2017
Hunter 31 Portland
Good evening,
I have just berthed this new-to-me Hunter 31 after having the keel, bottom paint, topsides, and all thru-hulls replaced. Referring to the image attached, I am interested in the opinion of others on the mast rake. It seems excessive to me, but then I am not that familiar with BSR rigs. Any feedback would be appreciated. Note the backstay is not overly taut. Cheers!

Attachments