AC Day2 - TeamUSA has a Problem

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Another bad day for Team USA, lost both races. Much was made of their lifting foil size choice but there were several unforced errors that cost USA dearly. Meanwhile New Zealand kept their big light-wind foils on and simply went faster. Racing resumes this Saturday at 1300 EDT, hopefully TeamUSA has sorted out their boat and strategy as they did in 2013...otherwise the Cup is headed to New Zealand. Viewing is on NBC Sports via TV or the NBCSports mobile app.

I think we will head to St. Michaels, Maryland where the Miles River Yacht Club is hosting the Cheseapeake Bay Log Canoe Racing Association, 4th of July Series. We'll watch the AC via mobile and then dinghy out to watch the log canoes.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes, I hope it goes back to New Zealand; maybe next challenge they will return to monohull racing. Other than brute speed these Cats don't have much to offer as far as a sailing competition. This circus highjacked the Americas Cup to try an promote a traveling racing circuit. It is a shame they may have killed the historical event.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The Kiwi's knew what they were doing when the dumped Dean Barker in favor of Peter Burling after the the collapse in 2013. The guy has spend his entire sailing career in multi-hulls and foiling boats. They will be be VERY hard to beat.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The only time I have seen the US be competitive is when the winds are at the upper range of race conditions. Looks like New Zealand had a better understanding of what the term Bermuda High means! And USA really struggle with the hydraulic pressure they need to control the boat, to the point where their tactician is grinding the pumps.

Nov 8, 2010
Its a so-called AC defense, but being held on foreign land/waters, and nary an American on the boat. Just LE's ego and checkbook that has the Star-and-stripes painted on the wing.

If this goes back to monos and stricter nationality rules, I'm a fan.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Its a so-called AC defense, but being held on foreign land/waters, and nary an American on the boat. Just LE's ego and checkbook that has the Star-and-stripes painted on the wing.

If this goes back to monos and stricter nationality rules, I'm a fan.

+1 and then some. While appreciate the "speed" factor I don't engage with it like in the past. $ controls just about everything in that circuit so the rest of us are left watching with interest but not with a real stake in it like in the past.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Last chance this weekend for Oracle Team USA to stage a comeback - like last time? Unlikely. The Kiwis have the faster boat and the better skill set.
Yes, rooting for your country's boat is like rooting for your state's pro football team. Not too many Arizona natives on the Cardinals team either. Maybe they should just name the boats ANZAC 1, ANZAC 2, ANZAC 3, ...
Cheers! Alastair.

Nov 8, 2010
Last chance this weekend for Oracle Team USA to stage a comeback - like last time? Unlikely. The Kiwis have the faster boat and the better skill set.
Yes, rooting for your country's boat is like rooting for your state's pro football team. Not too many Arizona natives on the Cardinals team either. Maybe they should just name the boats ANZAC 1, ANZAC 2, ANZAC 3, ...
Cheers! Alastair.
And if the Cardinals started playing their home games in Tijuana, because they got a better stadium deal?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
+1 and then some. While appreciate the "speed" factor I don't engage with it like in the past. $ controls just about everything in that circuit so the rest of us are left watching with interest but not with a real stake in it like in the past.
+1
There is absolutely no connection between this high tech water sport and the tradition, beauty, technology, and sportsmanship that was the America's Cup back in the day. I for one would like to see the organizers find another name for this current competition and hope that somewhere down the line the concept of "one design" sailing might be reborn as the "America's Cup".

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Agree with Benny.Hope Kiwi,s win and go back to monohulls.Miss spinnaker sets and runs.Boats are unbeleivable
but I cannot fathom ever sailing on something remotely like them. Love to see more fleet racing also

Nov 8, 2010
Not only that, buts its no longer 'aspirational' for me. Its not sailing as I know it. I could never see myself doing any of this, and I've raced some pretty wild boats. Now being DC or Terrible Ted; yea, I can see that.

TT.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
The one thing I will add, LE (like TT) is a sailboat racer from WAY back. No checkbook sailors here to start. TT won the Fastnet in 79 when all the boats sank in the storm, and LE won the Sydney-Hobart in 98 in a huge storm there as well. Big brass on both of them.

Sayonara in the Bass Straight.

920x920.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
The one thing I will add, LE (like TT) is a sailboat racer from WAY back. No checkbook sailors here to start. TT won the Fastnet in 79 when all the boats sank in the storm, and LE won the Sydney-Hobart in 98 in a huge storm there as well. Big brass on both of them.

Sayonara in the Bass Straight.

View attachment 137908
Yes. I remember Ted's boat at the time Tenacious, around 60ft LOA. After the race he mentioned to the press that at the height of the storm he and the off watch were dining on steak down below. Well found yacht, well sailed by TT and his crew. This is the tradition of yachting missing in the now to date "America's Cup".

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I agree that this current version of AC hasn't caught fire with me. I see this ungainly "Boats" careening around with the spinners to create power for the hydraulics. I don't understand the game. I guess it's all about speed. But that can vary so quickly and I don't really understand the foil adjustments, wing adjustments or whatever else happens to change speed. Whatever the driver is doing with those adjustments on the wheel, I'm not privy to and I just can't translate that into sailing I do.
The sailors are buff twenty somethings who probably don't know TT from DC. I give them credit for their dedication but I would never aspire to be cycling at near Olympic level on a sailboat. I don't see anyone having any fun.

Jan 2, 2017
I believe it's possible to be a traditionalist and monohull devotee (as I am) and still enjoy watching the foiling catamarans racing around Bermuda's Great Sound. Maybe they shouldn't call it the America's Cup, but hasn't that race always featured the fastest sailboats? Sure it's different from what we love to do, but that doesn't make it wrong. I think it's awesome and so do my grandchildren - you wouldn't catch them watching a monohull race ("Too boring Grandpa!"). I'll be watching tomorrow and sailing my monohull next week.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
These boats don't do much for me -- I prefer the traditional America Cup boats. I was going to send an email to Jackdaw and ask him to explain to me why they are constantly cranking -- i know what they're adjusting but I don't know why it's constant?

One of my best sailing memories was sailing on the America Cup boat in St Maartens. I got to be skipper and pick the crew -- I picked the largest mothers in the group to be in my crew. I noticed during the race that the boat skipper had his eye on 2 dollies but he had trouble talking to them since they were sitting by the mast. At the end of the race he asked me if I had any sailing experience. I said I did and with that he told me to sail the boat back to the marina and he immediately headed up to the mast. What a sailing thrill it was driving that boat!! Even though the boats are "beaters" due to constant use it still was like driving a responsive race car.

Nov 8, 2010
@Don Guillette , sailboat racing at its highest level has always been about using human power to control the systems vs the wind. For years this has been brutes on mechanical winches. And no 'stored power'.

Now on the AC we see hydraulic systems to trim the wing, and with very limited storage. So they are constantly topping off the power, and hammering when demand exceeds supply.

Jan 2, 2017
i know what they're adjusting but I don't know why it's constant?
They're putting pressure into the hydraulics that work the wing and foil adjustments. They have to keep doing it so the boat always has the power to tack and gybe. The Kiwis use bicycles as legs are stronger than arms. Not very traditional looking!
Cheers! Alastair.

Oct 1, 2007
I believe it's possible to be a traditionalist and monohull devotee (as I am) and still enjoy watching the foiling catamarans racing around Bermuda's Great Sound. Maybe they shouldn't call it the America's Cup, but hasn't that race always featured the fastest sailboats? Sure it's different from what we love to do, but that doesn't make it wrong. I think it's awesome and so do my grandchildren - you wouldn't catch them watching a monohull race ("Too boring Grandpa!"). I'll be watching tomorrow and sailing my monohull next week.
Actually, the America's Cup back in the day did not feature the "fastest sailboats" but rather the boats designed to a rule competing head to head with sailing, tactics, and strategy playing equal parts in the overall performance of the boat. Not quite "one design" but close. I raced Pearson Ensigns one desig for many years and learned sailing, tactics, and sportsmanship in that endeavor. We loved the AC back then because there was much more boat on boat, skipper on skipper, etc. Nothing like this going on here.