How to transport extra fuel?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Hey All!
I am planning a 9 day channel islands trip from Long Beach, and I think I need to take about 10 gallons of extra fuel. I have one of these normal containers that sometimes use to buy cheaper diesel at the pump and re-fill my tank now and then. But I don't have a good way to strap it to anything on the deck. What do you recommend for a setup to hold extra fuel (or water) on deck? I can't spend a lot of money, so it's gotta be pretty much a DIY type thing.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Strap or U-bolt a goodly board between a couple of your stanchions about halfway as high as your fuel containers. Strap containers to board.

rail board.PNG

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I will be taking three fully rigged anchors so I've really got no room in any lockers for fuel.
If I install a board as in the first reply, do you typically motorcycle strap them to the board?
Cloud diver, are you suggesting those for water? Or to use for my fuel?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Aren't those jugs clouddiver posted illegal for gas transport in California?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
If I install a board as in the first reply, do you typically motorcycle strap them to the board?
Yes, typically people just use rope and lash them. You can use nylon webbing. I would not recommend rachet straps. You can tighten them too much and break stuff. I like the nylon straps with aluminium buckles. They don't slip back but you can pull them to as tight as you want. Remember you will be on an ocean, so don't just protect the cans from going side to side but up and down as well.

Look at getting a shake siphon for transferring the fuel into the tank. Way better than the nozzle on the can.

Fair winds.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I sailed from NY to Florida mostly all ocean and had 6- 5 gallon jugs strapped to side with some treated
lumber boards that I cut and painted white and been using them since 2008 trip and just used some stainless
U- bolts and than tied them real good and never had a problem.

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I vote for the lumber on the rails. When in port they can double as fender boards. Nice to have.

Hafa

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 40.5 Saipan
...I have one of these normal containers that sometimes use to buy cheaper diesel at the pump...
Kind of a tangent, but I'd not recommend putting diesel in a gasoline container. Diesel containers are yellow, not red. The main reason for this is to prevent a catastrophic mistake centered around the type of fuel in a given container.

That said, we use ratchet straps to secure gasoline containers directly to the toe rail; this works for us due to the toe rail design, which allows for relatively even downward tension to be applied along the center axis of the container; YMMV.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Instead of a piece of lumber, I have a piece of 1" SS rail with a tee fitting on each end to secure it to 2 stanchions.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would not think you could get two 5 gallon cans in the anchor locker. I would just tie them up against the stanchions with bungee cords. We keep saying we will install a board with straps but have not gotten around to it in the past 10 years.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Seriously? They don't leak all over the place like the 'CARB' legal ones do.
Just asking.... we used those type for off road motorcycling a few years back. However, I'm not sure what the Coast Guard would say about storage and transfer on board a marine vessel. I guess I could look it up... was hoping someone knew.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Just asking.... we used those type for off road motorcycling a few years back. However, I'm not sure what the Coast Guard would say about storage and transfer on board a marine vessel. I guess I could look it up... was hoping someone knew.
I use them for track days, but you are right.... as far as I know they are not "legal" for fuel; however that is what they were originally manufactured for. When CARB stepped in and made their non-science based and ridiculous rules regarding fuel storage containers all the manufacturers changed the description to 'utility jug'. Everyone, and I mean everyone I have ever motored with, uses these jugs... and everyone I motor with including myself has never had one of the CARB compliant takes that did not leak when pouring. Also, no one that I know of has ever been ticketed for using this type of container for fuel. I'll pick safety any day over the FUBAR rules that the non-science based CARB goon-squad comes up with.
They are made, by multiple manufacturers, in different colors. Many people do use the translucent color for potable water only, red for mo-gas, yellow for diesel, etc. Not having the 'correct' container would only effect your California, and only if the CG chooses to be douchey enough to cite you for it. Once you are off shore, no such worry.
Worst case, you can buy the CARB compliant containers for diesel and switch out the top/fill nozzle. There are plenty of sources online that sell the add-on screw top/fill nozzle that won't leak (but is also not CARB complaint). The regular tops are just fine at keeping the fuel in the container when up-right, so just buy one or two after-market filler caps to use when filling the tank. Long hoses are best to avoid any spillage.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think the USCG concerns themselves after an actual spillage and not whether a portable tank may leak or not. Containers for extra fuel are routinely carried on boats and I have never heard of any regulation enforcement problems with them or the transferring of fuel underway.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Well, I'm in your camp on this CloudDiver.... I still have some pre CARB 2.5 gal containers that I use in the boat.... very easy to handle... vent cap outside the nozzle like the "utility" jugs. The 5 gal utilities with extended tube tops were clean and easy to use. Even with an extended funnel the "push to pour" models are damn difficult, especially in a moving boat in the ocean. Eventually, I will find an appropriate transfer pump to reduce the inconvenience of picking up and pouring the bottles.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2015
Mascot 28 Pilothouse Motorsailer Grand Manan
Try using a 2 ft length of 1" hose. Slide the hose tightly onto the fuel jug spout.Insert the hose 6-8" into fuel deck fitting. Lift fuel jug & pour.No leaks. / Len

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Hey All!
I am planning a 9 day channel islands trip from Long Beach, and I think I need to take about 10 gallons of extra fuel. I have one of these normal containers that sometimes use to buy cheaper diesel at the pump and re-fill my tank now and then. But I don't have a good way to strap it to anything on the deck. What do you recommend for a setup to hold extra fuel (or water) on deck? I can't spend a lot of money, so it's gotta be pretty much a DIY type thing.
Here is a little report on how we carry 10 extra gallons. BTW, if you do not yet own a "rattle syphon", you have GOT to get one.
That way you do not have to pick up a full can and try to pour in diesel on a rolling deck.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?208-Carrying-More-Diesel