1979 cherubini 37 cutter

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Yes, the keel to hull was loose!we could move the keel and you could see the water seeping out! The boat yard owner and boat build also looked at and was shocked as well! I always had a full keel that was incapsalated so I am unsure!
I agree... This boat is in decent shape and way
Personally, I would pass on that one. It shouldn't be like that. Maybe a bad grounding, maybe someone not knowing what they're doing when re-torquing bolts...whatever. John Cherubini II (the designer's son and a boat builder himself) said somewhere on this forum that, after an 'incident' with a Hunter 25 keel in San Francisco, Hunter went overboard on the hull-to-keel joint, using epoxy, something like 5200 around the bolts, etc. etc. JC II was of the opinion that the keel almost didn't need the bolts!

Jun 18, 2017
Hunter 37 Cherubini USVI
Personally, I would pass on that one. It shouldn't be like that. Maybe a bad grounding, maybe someone not knowing what they're doing when re-torquing bolts...whatever. John Cherubini II (the designer's son and a boat builder himself) said somewhere on this forum that, after an 'incident' with a Hunter 25 keel in San Francisco, Hunter went overboard on the hull-to-keel joint, using epoxy, something like 5200 around the bolts, etc. etc. JC II was of the opinion that the keel almost didn't need the bolts!
I read an article similar to that. I did get just get an email from the owner agreeing to pay 1/2 and have a surveyor there at his expense when the keel is dropped to inspect the hull for a breach of hull strength. thanks for the info! 4 eyes are better then 2.

Jun 8, 2004
I read an article similar to that. I did get just get an email from the owner agreeing to pay 1/2 and have a surveyor there at his expense when the keel is dropped to inspect the hull for a breach of hull strength. thanks for the info! 4 eyes are better then 2.
Well, if you can get the $ off the price and you have confidence in those making the repair, then maybe you have a deal. I know when I purchased my boat the rudder was suspect; we worked it out, I got a new rudder and I'm still loving this boat sixteen years later.

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
I am curious how much was the guy asking for the boat. I agree with jim on the keel as I have never heard of a keel coming loose on a hunter they are built like tanks and if the keel was loose I think it was hit hard. and possible damage to the rudder as well

Jun 18, 2017
Hunter 37 Cherubini USVI
After final negotiations less then 15,000...
I am curious how much was the guy asking for the boat. I agree with jim on the keel as I have never heard of a keel coming loose on a hunter they are built like tanks and if the keel was loose I think it was hit hard. and possible damage to the rudder as well

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
Well thats Great. you have joined the elite cherubini group.congratulations :whoa:. this site will help you with knowledge on these boats. best person to ask would be Blaise I believe he lives close to you on the west coast. and let Jim Legre know you hull number for his data base he keeps up on these boats and could probably let you know the history of your boat. My best Frank

Apr 20, 2016
Hunter 37 Cutter Chesapeake City, MD
So, you will have about 20k into her. IMO, if the repair Fixes the problem, and no other major issues exist, you will end up with a great sailing boat for a reasonable price. Good luck with her

Jun 18, 2017
Hunter 37 Cherubini USVI
Update. We are moving forward in the negotiations and everything thing looks like a go! I have the hull number as HUN37078m79. Dose this mean it is hull number #78? Just curious.

Jun 8, 2004
Update. We are moving forward in the negotiations and everything thing looks like a go! I have the hull number as HUN37078m79. Dose this mean it is hull number #78? Just curious.
Yes, 78 is the sequential hull #. I do not have that boat in my database. It was built in March 1979 if there is an "H" on the end of the HIN or April 1979 if the last letter is "I" (a full HIN always ends with a letter indicating the month of manufacture). I am guessing if you look closely, you may see the letter "I" - that letter sometimes doesn't show up well in the gelcoat molding.