Quick release for the forstay

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
I plan to go with the quick disconnect for my forstay but I do not see them for the forward shrouds. I do see quick release pins but does that mean I don't have to loosen my forward shrouds ? Or can I get away with leaving tension on them and just pull the pin? I find that to be difficult thank you all for your information

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You will have to release tension on the forward lowers in order to pull the pins.

What you are planning - quick release lever on the forestay, but not the forward lowers - is exactly what I have. I bought Johnson levers for all three, but soon found the Johnsons much too cumbersome to tune on the forward lowers, and a PITA to deal with in general when trailering.

Apr 26, 2010
Thank you I saw your video for the forstay but didn't see what you did about the lowers but I figured I had to loosen them thank you

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Google "shroud adjusters" you're not looking for quick disconnect but rather tension release for quick adjusting.

Apr 26, 2010
Those may work. What I am going to be doing is to trailer sail this way I can choose between 3 lakes neer me and I want to save time rigging etc. I have a very fast mast raising system so I want to save time on the rest.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I bit the bullet and bought 3 quick releases from Catalina Direct for the Fore stay and forward lower shrouds since I trailer sail exclusively and usually solo. They make everything so much easier despite the high cost. After a bit of experience, I sewed up some Sunbrella and velcro covers to go over the fwd lower quick releases to keep the head sail sheets from hanging up on them.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I bit the bullet and bought 3 quick releases from Catalina Direct for the Fore stay and forward lower shrouds since I trailer sail exclusively and usually solo. They make everything so much easier despite the high cost.
You don't find the quick release levers to be a pain to adjust on the foreward lowers? Release the tension lever, disconnect lever from the chainplate, rotate the lever, reconnect to the chainplate, close the lever, recheck the tension ... and repeat several times until properly tuned?

Maybe I'm missing something. That does seem to be the case more often than I'd like to admit. :redface:

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
funny I'm on the same page as we speak-- just ordered the quick release for the forestay, but held off on forward lowers until I could prove to myself that disconnect levers were the right solution for me. Very much contemplating the fine tuned adjusters as a plausible solution... we shall see... I feel another post coming on :)

Apr 26, 2010
I'm planning on getting all 3 as I am trying to save as much time as possible. Plan to be sailing alone a lot.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
One thing I love to do is never admit to my mistakes and then manipulate them into a great idea that I will claim was my intention from the beginning...
So, I'm using Dyneema to make my own rigging. I may have 'accidentally' spliced my forestay 2 inches short of the stock measurement because I 'may' have miscalculated how much line would be sucked up by the locking Brummel splice... Anyway, I have a 2 inch long shackle that will easily remedy that, but I was seriously considering an alternative; I might get the Colligo Marine terminators and just leave out the turnbuckle and use lashings instead. I can put on a nice long piece of Dyneema lashing line so it will be really easy to pin the forestay, then just pull and lash to get the mast vertical. Most of the for-aft tension will remain adjustable from the back-stay.

Apr 26, 2010
Lol Gene. I am going with three quick release but I have a lot of things I want to do to my boat in next few months

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
You don't find the quick release levers to be a pain to adjust on the foreward lowers? Release the tension lever, disconnect lever from the chainplate, rotate the lever, reconnect to the chainplate, close the lever, recheck the tension ... and repeat several times until properly tuned?
I thought the design from CD was simply a quick release, that didn't require re-adjusting the tension ?
Once it's tuned you simply connect or disconnect . At least that is what their product info says.

No workee that way in the real world ?

Apr 26, 2010
From what I have read is that the quick release in any brand is adjusted one time only upon installation then you just snap them shut and that is it. It's the whole reason for them anyway