Widgeon Foredeck Hatch Covers

Jul 27, 2015
Oday Widgeon Tiverton, RI
I'm wondering if anyone has any clever ideas for replacing the 'hatch covers' that cover the access holes in an enclosed 'cabin'? In the later year boats, there was a foredeck storage area and there were optional teak covers to cover the holes. I don't know if my boat ever had the teak covers, but someone made plywood variants before I bought the boat and they're not in great shape anymore. Just wondering if anyone had any luck with a composite material, ready made replacements, or a sealed hatch that might work. Thanks!

Oct 30, 2015
Oday Javelin Skaneateles
I saw a post where someone made a hatch cover for a newer Javelin, and used plastic cutting board material - the pictures looked good, and I remembed thinking it was a well thought out design and well executed. I thought it was on this forum, and I did a quick search here but didn't find it - that doesn't mean it is not on this site, only that my search skills were not up to the task - although maybe I did see it elsewhere. Anyway, just suggesting that you don't limit yourself to looking at Widgeons when you are looking for ideas, and maybe you can find the right solution for your boat. Sorry I can't find the link I was hoping for - not enough time to refine my search. That is a late night activity, usually with a beverage.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I would think that making replacement covers out of Starboard or other similar material should be fairly simple as it can be cut and shaped just like wood. Those covers were an option on the 1971-83 models. I personally like the look of wood better and find the plastic too "sterile" although using a teak colored material would look better. I think finding an off-the-shelf, sealed hatch for that area of the boat might be hard due to the small choice of sizes and I think there may be some curve to that bulkhead which the ready-made hatches won't fit. BOAT OUTFITTERS.COM in Florida could make you a nice set of custom hatches out of Starboard, but at big $$$$$$.

Attachments