Spinnaker halyard roller

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O'Day 322 has a roller at the front top of the mast for the spinnaker halyard. The roller seems "frozen" and doesn't turn freely. It looks like a bow anchor roller, but I am not sure of the size.

Does anyone know what O'Day used for that roller? Would like to order 1 and have it ready when I am next hiking up the stick.

Thanks,

Greg

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I believe your boat has an Isomat mast. If you search Rig Rite Isomat you will come up with a site that shows all of their masts and components. I've never ordered from them and believe there outside of the US.

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks Spooled.

My boom says Z-Spar on it. Are they still in business?

IMG_0166.JPG

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks Gunni. I got a hit on google that took me to Rig-Rite.
Wish their site had some photos. Not sure what they call the roller.

Have not found what sounds like a roller yet.

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Almost sounds more like a halyard restrainer if it looks like and anchor roller.

Jan 7, 2011
Ron,

What is the function of a halyard restrainer? The line runs over the top of the roller.

Greg

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
Greg,
The attached photo is of my 1988 O'Day 322 masthead. My mast says Z-Spars.

The bottom of the pictuer is aft and has the main halyard and the topping lift. The top has two additional sheaves which I believe are for a primary and backup jib halyard. If one has the CDI roller furling, then you don't need any jib halyard as it is self contained in the furler. If you have a traditional roller furler, then one of the two forward sheaves would have the jib halyard.
In my experience, a spin halyard runs on a block attached to a spinnaker bail out in front of the forestay. You see that spinnaker bail at the very top of this photo. If you used one of the jib halyard sheaves for the spin, you would experience chafe on the spin halyard as the spinnaker blows out to the side of the boat. Halyard chafe would cause a disastrous failure at the worst possible time (higher wind). With a block on the spinnaker bail in front of the mast, it pulls freely in any direction from a port reach to a starboard reach. I do not have a spin block rigged.
You could perhaps rig the spin halyard from the head of the spin through the spin block on the bail and then through the jib sheave, and down the inside of the mast, the benefit being the tail of the spin halyard is then inside the mast.
PS - I ordered all new sheaves from US Spar a couple years ago. I may be able to dig out the details from the invoice if you need them.
PS - I replaced that dreadful anchor light, which is one of the reasons the mast was down.
Cheers.

IMG_1469.JPG

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for the photo. I have never pulled my mast, and generally send someone else up the mast (but I have been up there). I think mine looks different. I have a furler with an integral jib halyard (cable that runs ina track in the foil), so I don't use a standard jib halyard.

I will see if I can get a photo with a telephoto lens that may show the front of the masthead.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
IMG_1164.JPG IMG_1165.JPG

Not the best photo (will take the telephoto camera tomorrow), but this may give an idea as to how my mast head is set up and where the roller is...

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Here are some better shots of the front of my masthead. You can see the roller, and a bail, that I never knew was tucked under there!

IMG_3600.JPG IMG_3601.JPG

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
Ah hah.
Now if you take off that roller assembly on the top (which looks all the world to me like an anchor bow roller) then your masthead looks exactly like mine. That looks like a prior owner addition.

I would presume someone welded a top plate on the anchor roller to keep the spin halyard captive, but even so it still looks like it would experience chafe with a full load to the side when the spin is on a reach. Perhaps the prior owner did not know what the spin bail was for or how to rig it with a block, or preferred the merit of this bow roller solution which seems to be the bitter end of the spin halyard goes down inside the mast, where as with the traditional solution the spin halyard bitter end comes down the outside of the mast. Sometimes the bitter end of the spin halyard enters the mast through a slot down a foot or two from the top of the mast, but I do not see that on an O'Day 322 mast.

An example of a more traditional solution rig is attached.
spinnaker bail.jpg

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks Andre,

I strikes me as an anchor roller too. I assumed it was an O'Day thing. I will see how the roller is attached next time up the mast.

Thanks,

Greg

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
That is called a crane! Nice work! It is used when you cannot achieve the necessary separation for a spinnaker halyard from the forestay.