Running rigging

Sep 28, 2008
Pearson P33-2 Weymouth,
Does anyone know of a database for the running rigging on my 1987 Pearson 33-2? Mainsheet, traveler and reef line lengths. Thanks in advance. Jim

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jim, what about the old lines... Are they available?

Sep 28, 2008
Pearson P33-2 Weymouth,
Thx John. They are on the boat. Just thinking if that information was available I could use the old reef lines to pull the new ones through.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok.
How do the reef lines run? Along the boom. Measure the boom length. Up to the first reef cringe? Measure distance from the boom block to the cringle and back down. Add a few feet in case you missed the measurement and you got it. Same for reef two, assumed to lines.

Main sheet same procedure. Position traveler to the port side of the traveler channel. Move boom all the way to the shroud on the starboard side. This is the longest distance. Measure the length of the sheet between these two points. Now multiply the length by the number of loops the main sheet makes in the blocks. I.e. 6 to 1 use 6. or 4 to 1 use 4. That gives you the minimum. Now add to have some line in the cockpit for backup. Buy and tie the new line on.

Traveler lines the easiest. Strip it out on one side. Measure it. Multiply by two and add a couple of feet. Use the remaining one as a guide to install the new line. Then repeat.

You'll look so seamanlike doing this that the dock watchers will give you an admiring nod. There goes a shipshape seaman.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Just a wild thought, have you used the rigging calculator in the SBO store? It's a start but a boat that is 30 years old with how many mods by how many owners will
Most likely fit any calculator as a best guesstimate only.

Another way is to figure it out. What is the purchase on the mainsheet? Mid boom or end boom? Distance mainsheet travels to get to the helm. Add it all up and add 20%

For example, my islander Freeport has end boom sheeting, 3 to 1 purchase and travels to the mast down to the cabin top and back to the helm, full extension when running on a 14' boom is about 20 ft X 3 is 60 ft + 16 ft boom + 3' cabin height + 16 ft back to cockpit = 95' X1.20 = 114'. If it is too long I can always shorten it.

It's not hard but requires some thought

God luck,