Mooring retrieval options after dropping chain

Jun 3, 2017
Catalina 30 mk1 Milford CT
I have a helix mooring with a chain coming up to my mooring ball and dropped the chain while removing the winter stick (the line snapped). So the chain is on the bottom of the river, at least 22 feet down. I have dragged with a grappling hook, and wonder if anyone has ever used a large magnet while searching for their chain. I have read of "retrieving magnets" used for collecting tools or artifacts in deep water...these items are much lighter than a chain. Has anyone used a magnet to find their chain? If I could locate it with a magnetic tied to a line, then maybe I could then raise it enough to grab it with the grappling hook... I've been told to continue dragging or just hire a diver but cost is a factor and thought a magnet might help. Suggestions?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
If you are sure where it is you should be able to "grapple" it with a bit of patience.
Good luck

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
Go down to the local dive shop and ask around. Somebody there will do it for lunch and a beer.
Eric

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
...Keep on dragging. If your lucky you'll grab the right end of the chain so you can lift it. Otherwise use that to mark the spot , then dive in with a line to tie to the chain end.
When dragging with your hook be sure to add some chain so the hook lays flat and oriented correctly. Gets those tines down into the mud.
I've found chains with magnets but it is much harder.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
To attach a line to retrieve a rode or chain on a dive it is best to attach a carabiner to the line. This way at 22' you do not have to tie it on, just clip it! Diver for many years in Oahu, Puerto Rico and Mexico. Chief

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I'm thinking that if you did get it with a magnet, the cumulative weight of the chain would prevent you from getting it to the surface. I also think that even if you got it with a grapple, you still would have a challenge. Is the chain long enough to reach above the surface? Obviously it will reach pretty close to the surface, if you are able to change floats on it. My vote would be for giving a diver an excuse to go down to retrieve it and tie a line to it on a float, which you can then pull up. Twenty-two feet of chain can get pretty heavy to try to bring up while in the water, depending on the size of the chain.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
The diver is to secure the clip on the line! Not bring up the chain! Chief