Oceanis 473 Clipper

Velff

May 30, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 473 Clipper XX
Dear members,
I've found this strange piece of plastic in the stern, behind the gear (look at the picture) in my not new Oceanis 473.
Experts, what could be a reason to put it there by someone? I can't imagine any damage possible in this area.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Velff

May 30, 2017
Last year it was some works with shaft, but service guys are hold that they didn't touch this place

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Looks like a way to blow out the water hoses, but you don't say which piece you refer to.

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
Is it something you can remove and there's nothing strange below it? I mean was it probably place there so they could stand or knee on it (sorry if this is a silly question)?

Velff

May 30, 2017
Is it something you can remove and there's nothing strange below it? I mean was it probably place there so they could stand or knee on it (sorry if this is a silly question)?
Unfortunately I can't remove it. and the place is too small to be inside. Picture is made from under the berth starboard side.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We have a similar looking plastic "puddle" behind where our prop shaft comes into the boat. Not sure what it is really, but at least in our case it is factory original.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
IIRC, MY b323 HAS A SIMILAR PUDDLE of hardened resin under the area under the shaft&stuffing box. Probably so the water does not collect in a small place under the shaft and be next to impossible to extract. SO why try to remove it? In your boat, maybe it is there to facilitate some kind of thru hull installation with a level base?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
My 323 is is similar to Ron's except the "patch" extends aft of the shaft log. I still have the depression below the shaft that collects a bit of water from time to time. My thought was that this was just a reinforcement for a thin spot found in the fiberglass at the time of manufacture.
If the color is an issue, paint over it some day when you are looking for something to do.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
My 331 has the same "puddle" under the shaft. Looks to me like yours may have been put there to keep water from collecting.