23.5 Jib Sheet Cleats

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Has anyone replaced the original jib sheet jam cleats with rope clutches or something else? If so what did you use and how has it worked.
I usually sail singlehanded on a small lake (5600 acres) so long runs aren't common and I find that the factory jamming cleats are a pain to deal with.
I'm open to suggestions from fellow 23.5 owners.

Tony

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
My boat had horn cleats, not jam cleats. I replaced them with Spinlock Power Cleats about 13 years ago and they've been perfect for me. I don't need or use the winches for the jib sheets. To harden the sheet you just pull as you can with a clutch. To release you use a flick motion with your hand as when you snap a wet towel at someones butt in a locker room. I can do all this from wherever I'm sitting, including from the stern rail seats.

They improved the Power Cleat design a few years later, but the newer cleats no longer have holes that line up with the horn cleat holes. Mine fit right on and I could change back to the horn cleats easily if I wanted to but never did and never would.

With my Schaefer Snapfurl and the Power Cleats, single handing has been a snap. Pun intended. Oh, and Tom's Lazy jacks which were discussed here again recently.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tony

There are aluminum plates encapsulated in the fiberglass so you can put other things in the same place or area. Before you go drilling , predrill with a smaller bit and see if you get any metal filings coming out which would indicate yo are into the aluminum. Then drill and tap

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Rick, I'm guessing mine are the same style that you had they look like conventional cleats however one side is tapered smaller to allow you to jam the line. They don't work well and are a major pain.

Dave thanks for the heads up on the embedded plates.

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Rick, I'm guessing mine are the same style tat you ad they look like conventional cleats however one side is tapered smaller to allow you to jam the line. They don't work well and are a major pain.
Interesting. I have self jamming horn cleats and love them. This may be rather dependent on what rope style and diameter of sheets you use in them however. they can be picky on those things in order to function correctly.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Cam cleats are nice for jib sheets. You can add straight or angled risers if needed... if you don't use winches you can add a fairlead to keep the line captive.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Add eye strapp to the above cam lest top and use the riser plates to angle upward as it will immensely help when dislodging or pulling tight the line thru

Mar 16, 2011
Hunter 23.5 Folsom Lake
My 23.5 clam cleats are worn out and have reached the end of their usefulness as they continue to release halyards at inopportune times. Has anyone found replacements or repairs that work with the existing mounting screws?

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
I switched the clam cleats for the halyards and centerboard uphaul out with a Spinlock XAS triple rope clutch. Works well however you will need to drill and tap new holes in the aluminum mounting plate beneath the existing clam cleats.

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Agree with Rick,replace horn cleats with pivot Spinlocks,Flick up release a breeze

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
Definitely the Spinlocks. It was one of the first & best mods I did. Rick posted his upgrade on the 23.5 owner mods section. I didn't build up the platform like he did. I just replaced them in the same place.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Definitely the Spinlocks. It was one of the first & best mods I did. Rick posted his upgrade on the 23.5 owner mods section. I didn't build up the platform like he did. I just replaced them in the same place.
I intend to upgrade to Spinlocks,, great for single handed sailing.

8155889.jpg

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
As I recal, not only are the bolt holes different from the old models, the range of line thicknesses also changed.

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
I was just washing down the boat to show to a buyer yesterday (made the sale too!), and reminded myself that I used the aft hole of the original cleat, drilled the additional hole (holes? can't remember) for the Spinlock, then filled in forward hole from original cleat with epoxy. I thought abut filling that in with a little gelcoat repair paste, but never got around to it!

I used the swivel base model.