O'Day 222 forestay length?

Mar 28, 2016
O'Day 222 Key Largo
I just bought a new jib and CDI FF2 furler. I need to cut the plastic luff foil 12.25 inches shorter than the pin to pin distance of the forestay but my mast is up and I don't have an easy way to measure it. I emailed Rudy at D&R and all he said was there's 2 different lengths for the 222 and be careful!? Does anyone have this furler or knows the forestay measurement? Mine is a 1986 with a Dwyer mast.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Each boat factory setup can be different and older boats could have been modified by POs so I would not rely on spec data. I would suggest you measure your own head stay and measure it twice. Drop the mast it is not that hard on a 22' and besides it will be good practice for future undertakings.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
This is a project you should absolutely do yourself.... drop the mast, or send someone up to hold the tape. If you don't want to do that, you can fix a steel measuring tape to the halyard so it extends far enough past the shackle to touch the forestay's eye.... then check the distance to the base. Or you could detach the forestay at the bottom and simply slip the foil on the forestay and cut it according to how the drum will fit.... But there is no way to verify this data by asking for opinions.....so check it your self. once you cut the foil it can't be un cut.

Mar 28, 2016
O'Day 222 Key Largo
Thanks guys. Going to try the tape measure/halyard trick. I stepped the mast single handed but that was on the trailer. I'd need to set up baby stays or an A-frame (definitely a future project) if I was going to do it on the water where the boat is full time. I have limited time to spend working on the boat so I want to get the furler installed as quickly and easily as possible.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Or you could detach the forestay at the bottom and simply slip the foil on the forestay and cut it according to how the drum will fit.... But there is no way to verify this data by asking for opinions.....so check it your self. once you cut the foil it can't be un cut.
Excellent Idea if you don't want to drop the mast. It's a better idea than dropping the mast since you will be removing all variables like tape sag, misreading the tape, transferring the wrong numbers to the furler.

:plus:

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
We installed a CDI furler on our old CAL 21 and I'd drop the mast to do it.