New iPad

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I think there are some options out there for screens to be used outdoors. But they may be of military grade. Regardless, they will probably be cost prohibitive if not REALLY expensive. Not sure why manufactures do not work on the screen so the eventual price will drop down. I for the life of me cannot see how people take selfies outdoors when it is near impossible to see the screen.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
As well as the uses others have already mentioned, I use Evernote notes on my iPad.
1. I put all the equipment manuals into Evernote.
2. I keep a log of all my work visits to the boat including list of things needed for the next visit.
3. I scan all boat related purchase receipts/invoices into Evernote. I can then search for anything, even for words in on a receipt. What Samson line did I buy? can search and see all the receipts with Samson listed on them.
4. I keep a log of every sailing trip. May not be as good as written log but I have a lot of details as well as a chart of the track in each log. OB hours, hours sailing, miles coverage, conditions, crew & visitors, learnings, tips for next trip, etc.
5. Photos of everything boat related.

I also love using the iPad Sky Guide to check out the stars and planets when on the boat at night.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I use Evernote notes on my iPad.
Evernote is cool. I don't use it for keeping track of boat stuff (yet). But I do use it for recipes and grocery lists. The paid version is well worth the money. If set up correctly the information is available on all your devices and available anywhere you have internet.

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
Thanks, everyone - lots of good ideas here. I have two questions.
1. Can I get Explorer charts for the Bahamas on the iPad? All other charts I've had for the Bahamas are dangerously erroneous.
2. Of course I've heard of Bluetooth but have never known just what it is or what it does. What purpose does it serve on a boat's iPad?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
2. Of course I've heard of Bluetooth but have never known just what it is or what it does. What purpose does it serve on a boat's iPad?
It's a way of connecting devices to allow them to communicate wirelessly. Since you have the cellular iPad with GPS built in you don't need an external Bluetooth GPS. The other common use of Bluetooth is for headphones and speakers. If you wanted to play music from the iPad and hear it around the boat, you could pick up a Bluetooth speaker.

The one other thing I would add to the suggestions is to get some weather apps. I use WindAlert, AccuWeather, and Weather Underground the most.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
NV Charts for the Bahamas are pretty good. At least in the Abacos. So are iSailor.

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
The Navionics and Cmap Essentials charts I've had were also good for the Abacos but terrible for Long Island or the Jumentos.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Evernote is cool. I don't use it for keeping track of boat stuff (yet). But I do use it for recipes and grocery lists. The paid version is well worth the money. If set up correctly the information is available on all your devices and available anywhere you have internet.
I also use Evernote (free version) mostly to make check lists

IMG_0143.PNG

Greg

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I like the Navionics app for a backup nav device on the iPhone or iPad.

We have a Garmin chartplotter, and I LOVE the Garmin Helm app! I can perform all functions of the chartplotter by remote control from the iPhone/iPad while on deck, such as watching the depth while approaching to anchor, or just watching the chart while relaxing on main deck, quarter deck, or otherwise down below. You can zoom in or out, change screens, check AIS, start, configure or stop radar, etc. - all the functions of the Garmin - and all from the "remote console" connected by Bluetooth. Love it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
This morning I am looking at a cracked iPad screen and a crushed frame corner. I use my iPad as an alt-comms device with synced MS Outlook data (email/calendar/contacts) and separate qwerty keyboard. The iPad is not armoured and lives below. This weekend it took flight from it's shelf storage and was broken while on a spirited upwind romp. Just another data point that these things while convenient are not built for the sailboat environment. Good news is I have an excuse to upgrade this amazing bit of technology.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Good news is I have an excuse to upgrade this amazing bit of technology.
Not sure if I'm sorry to hear this. ;)

Add one of these to the shopping list, it is a tough case.

iPad Air 2 case | WaterProof. DropProof. | LifeProof

Edit: Just heard that the Apple Store is Closed until later this morning. They do this when new products are scheduled to drop. Better technology or lower prices on older technology are probably on the way.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, I am sensing a Window of Opportunity! Or is that an Apple of Opportunity? I use the Lifeproof case for my phone, but unfortunately can't find an alternative to the logitech iPad keyboard, light and compact. Does not allow for a protective case.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Check out ZAGG for a "rugged cover and key pad" I have been using it for work in the car. Protects the iPad. Not waterproof. So I'll be looking for something else for the boat.

Feb 11, 2017
Navionics will not purchase Explorer data. They made a business decision...a bad one, in my opinion. Explorer data is integrated in the C-Map charts and also on Garmin devices. It is amazing how bad the Navionics charts are in the southern Bahamas, like the Ragged Islands and southern Exumas. As we all know, there are no reliable nav aids in these areas, and a good CP is very helpful. Garmin charts match up with the Explorer Chartbooks: routes, marks, depths, anchorages, and all the other important aspects of cruising these areas.

Basically, going to these areas without Explorer data is a very poor choice, and Navionics is a bad choice.