H260 roof softness

May 23, 2017
Hunter 260 Magog
Hello everyone

I've owned a 260 with my dad for the past 2 years. I always felt a soft spot on the port side of the roof, forward of the winch, by the clutches. It never worried me, perhaps because I didn't know better but stepping the mast last weekend I noticed that it's bigger than last year. It's about a square foot now and the flex is very noticable. Reading about it now, I'm a little bit afraid of what comes next.

My dad wants to rebed the fittings and inject minimum expansion foam to stiffen the roof but if the core is wood, that rot is not going away...

Anyone know the composition of the sandwich?

We're good with our hands but haven't touch fiberglass in a few decades.

Any advice is appreciated

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If a good way is to cut the outer skin on the deck side with a dremel, carefully peel off the skin and save the skin. That way you can reuse it and match the pattern. Replace the rotten plywood by fairing the edges of the cut out to match fairing on the remaining wood in the deck. Epoxy the new wood in place and glue the old skin back in place. You will then want to put gel coat on the seam. It won't be perfect but close. If you choose to paint some anti skid over the entire area, no one will ever know you made the repair.

I have a spot like this on my boat that was repaired during the P.O.'s time with my boat.... I can snap a picture for you next time I'm out to the boat.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I just told @Crazy Dave Condon about your question. He'll probably see this in the morning. (I have a feeling Mr. Graunjay is correct.) Fortunately I haven't had to deal with this issue. And welcome to the forum!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There is no wood in the deck. Sounds like either marine putty has loosened up between the deck and cabin ceiling in places. I doubt the fiberglass is rotted. Send us a photo of the area outside and inside ceiling of cabin. Then we can go from there. I know the spot rob is talking about on his boat

May 23, 2017
Hunter 260 Magog
There is no wood in the deck. Sounds like either marine putty has loosened up between the deck and cabin ceiling in places. I doubt the fiberglass is rotted. Send us a photo of the area outside and inside ceiling of cabin. Then we can go from there. I know the spot rob is talking about on his boat
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm hoping I'll be able to go to the lake this weekend, I'll post pictures.