352 stern riding low under power

Jun 9, 2012
Beneteau 352 Centerport, NY
Hello all- final survey today before purchase of a 1999 352. The boat's in great shape but during the sea trial (under power only), the stern was riding low in the water. The swim ladder was awash. Is this normal?

Thanks for any input you all have to offer on this model.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
My 351 does sometimes under power, but never while sailing. There is a weep/drain on the lower edge .

sailrj

Jun 16, 2004
Beneteau 351 0 Aurora, KY
Our 351 has always been low in the stern under power, but is significantly higher under sail. Have always contributed the stern being lower to the fuel tank, starboard water tank, two large lazareths, engine, storage under aft berth and stored items being located in the stern 1/3 area of the boat. The good new is that we have never noticed any adverse effects from the stern riding low.

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
If I run my engine hard (Beneteau 361) the stern will ride low in the water. It's normal. At lower rpm it will not. During sailing, never.
Looking, in the internet, pictures of the Beneteau 352, yes I would expect the swim ladder which is so low, to be in the water.
Mind you, if it sits low even at low rpm then the boat is overprop (but that's another thing to consider and can be corrected).

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My 2 Hunters that I have owned would always push the stern down a little deep but only when motoring and think this is normal.

May 10, 2007
Beneteau 45 Annapolis
This will happen on just about all boats as you approach hull speed. It is just easier to see on some boats. People often don't motor as hard as is typical on a sea trial. The surveyor was probably trying to see if you motor would turn up to the max rated rpm.

The above test is likely actually good for the motor. Your engine manual may tell you to run your motor at wide open throttle for a certain number of minutes every certain number of operating hours. Mine does.

Jun 9, 2012
Beneteau 352 Centerport, NY
Thanks to all for the reassurances- much appreciated. Looks like I'm going to have to change my forum handle to BeneKene!