9.8 Tohatsu.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
I have a 9.8 tohatsu ob , from what I hear and gather is that the 9.8 mercury's are the same as well as Nissan.
So my question is? The water pump impeller is I think gone on my Tohatsu so I need to replace it.
There is a Tohatsu dealer an hour away , but there is a mercury dealer 5 min. away. would a merc impeller fit the tohatsu?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've heard that Tohatsu makes both Nissan and Mercury outboards in that HP and lower.

I think you'll be okay, but @Sailm8 does have a point.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have a 9.8 tohatsu ob , from what I hear and gather is that the 9.8 mercury's are the same as well as Nissan.
So my question is? The water pump impeller is I think gone on my Tohatsu so I need to replace it.
There is a Tohatsu dealer an hour away , but there is a mercury dealer 5 min. away. would a merc impeller fit the tohatsu?
4 stroke or two stroke?

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
Took the old impeller out took to the merc dealer, de parts lady cross referenced Mercury with tohatsu, but it was no match. My motor is I think about 10 years old.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I replaced the impeller on my 2003 Nissan 9.9 this year. I took the old one to West Marine and matched it with one of there Sierra brand impellers.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tohatsu has been makin the small mercury and Nissan for years. Take your manual if the newer four stroke and compare manuals. Very similar if not exact. Mariner I am not sure if still in business but I think their small engines were built by Tohatsu as well. Sierra also makes a lot of parts for others to includ breakers offered by WM