Upgrade Origo 3000 to heater?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Last weekend was COLD here in Minnesota, windy, rain and in the upper 40s. And we sailed.

It started me thinking about getting a Origo 5100 Heatpal; I heard they will warm up a small cabin pretty nicely if enclosed. Based on their great stove line, the things are kinda pricey at 200 bucks, but well made.

origo-5100-heatpal-full.jpg

But it occurred to me as I thought about how I would mount it in the pot holders on my gimbaled Origo 3000 dual burner stove, why not just covert one of the burners to heater use??

There are only two difference between the two devices 1) The heat defector, on the heater its sorta 'vortex' shaped, and 2) the top, which is really to stop you from being burned.

burner-unit.jpg

So I think I'm going to go buy a cheap aluminum pot, and drill a ton of air holes it it. And then clasp it on with the pot holders. We'll see how much the 'vortex' defector makes vs the cloverleaf one that comes with the stove (stock image below), but we'll see. Thoughts???

58a69acd188dce45add59cac1e00f79c.jpg

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
So all of these unvented combustion heaters will tell you to not use them in an enclosed space...you are pretty much creating a warming station in a cold open cabin. I do the same thing by turning on the oven and dialing it to high. For best effect put warm food in your crew. Let them make their own heat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We'll see how much the 'vortex' defector makes vs the cloverleaf one that comes with the stove (stock image below), but we'll see. Thoughts???
Here's my theory. The vortex cause the gas (exhaust) to swirl around the chamber heating the sides as well as the top. This will provide more radiant heat than just heating the top of the container.

If you look down the exhaust of a gas hot water heater there are baffles that do the same thing. Get the exhaust gas swirling and extracting more heat.

A large clay flower pot turned upside down will accomplish the same thing, or so I'm told. Haven't tried it yet.

Also the boat needs to be well ventilated to get rid of the moisture and carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
yea I'm aware of the venting issues... the typical use-case for this is cabin heater in the fall. People I know that have used the 5100 leave a hatch open a crack, or rely on the inherent leakiness of a boat for ventilation! ;^)

I know if I show Jodi an advert for an Espar forced air diesel heater where my next 11 boat bucks are going to be going!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I know if I show Jodi an advert for an Espar forced air diesel heater where my next 25 boat bucks are going to be going!
Just convince her that using excess body heat is a more environmentally sound method of keeping warm and perhaps a little cardio will warm things up some more. :rolleyes:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
my old alden came with a fireplace. chimney too. burns charcoal. has an ash bucket and metal scoop. safe to use under way. never burned the teak and holly floor boards. also a huge fan of keeping a large pot of chowder simmering all day. have saved numerous chowder recipes over the years just for sailing. wool sweaters and wool blankets are my favorites too.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Buddy propane heaters work pretty good.
I've been using one to warm the boat up so I can work on it.
PS: I'm not afraid of propane. Just figured I get that out of the way :)

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
That was YOU out there, huh? Not too many sails on the horizon this past weekend but I should have known it was you.

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
The other big difference between the Origo Heat Pal 5100 and the 1500/3000 cooker is the size of the exposed wick opening on top of the fuel canister. I tried the clay pot on a single burner Origo 1500 but the heat output was a bit low and clay pot cracked so I bought the Heat Pal 5100 and things improved. The best was adding wiring a refactory brick across the top of the Heat Pal auxiliary pot supports. It is nice that it is low on the cabin sole but put an anti-skid mat under it. I now use a small bulkhead mounted Cozy Cabin heater with a self powered Coframo fan.
ps.. An oil lamp work great also and adds some great atmosphere.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have used the Buddy heater http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html for those rare cold sails in Louisiana.. I like that it has safety features like tip-over shut-off and low oxygen shut off.. .. I have used it for 4 years now and I am happy with it.. The moisture is the only real problem.. but it sure does make the boat nice and cozy.. The toughest morning was 28F outside and the buddy had us nice and warm below..

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have had the HeatPal for 20 years. It works very well even in the (largely enclosed cockpit) with guests. If you think of the amortized cost of this simple well-built unit, it isn't bad. The burner is different from the cooker stove. I do, of course, leave a hatch cracked when using it inside the cabin and don't sleep with it on. However, what you may have missed is that it is also a back up cooker. Not of much interest to you, but has proven useful to me once. And, having a bit of stove alcohol aboard is always handy.