Garmin has bought Active Captain

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Now that's something. I was just going to get a hat for my next review.

All U Get

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wonder if you want to continue to play "Active Captain" you'll need to do it with Garmin equipment. That would be a bummer. The whole idea of Active Captain was crowd sourcing and an open environment.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I think it sucks. I can see Garmin charging you to update your AC database. But then again, I got burned by the big G a couple of years ago so maybe I'm just having sour grapes.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
They bought DeLorme, got the In-Reach and jacked the price through the roof.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
jacked the price through the roof.
Anything is possible. Great for Jeff & Karen. Will be interesting to see how long they work for Garmin, as Active Captain culture competes with Garmin shareholder expectations as viewed by the business managers.

Nov 20, 2010
Florida Bay Coaster 65 Key Largo, FL
Thank you for the intense discussion, congratulations, and speculation throughout the boating community about Garmin's acquisition of ActiveCaptain. Please understand that this is a busy time and we can't respond to every question through social media. What I can say is that nothing will change for the foreseeable future except that we are now part of the Garmin team. That means you can expect the same incredible services from ActiveCaptain as you've received in the past, but now with the support of one of the world’s leading marine electronics providers.

In addition, there will be no fees for ActiveCaptain. We will continue to communicate with you through various channels. And yes, there will still be hats awarded for your contributions to the community.

Give this a chance to unfold. We'll discuss more in the next couple of newsletters. Remember that no one has more passion for this product and community than us. This isn't an end. It's an incredible beginning of many more capabilities.