Hot water heater - preferences?

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
It's time to replace our 25 year old Atwood 6 gal heater.
The choices I have are
  • Atwood EMH6 for $515 or $624 for the SS case version
  • Camco 11812 (has SS case) for $367
  • Seaward S600 (galvanized case) for $489 or $548 for the powdercoated case version)
I have heard good things about the Atwood and Seaward heaters but the Camco at almost half the price is interesting - or do you "get what you pay for".
Curious if anyone has actual experience or information on what I should use? A few hundred dollars saved is no saving if I have to replace it again in a few years.

Thanks,

Chris

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You have at least one more choice: Raritan water heaters Raritan Water Heater are more expensive than either of those three, but they last upwards of 20+ years (the one on my last boat was 26 years old and still going strong when I sold the boat) because they have polymer shells that don't rust and glass lined tanks and replaceable anodes instead of anodized steel or aluminum tanks....and when the anodizing wears off a metal tank, the only cure is a new water heater.

Apr 24, 2006
I should have mentioned that I'm on the "expensive side" of the northern border lol.
Add exchange and shipping and my prices are pretty good (for here anyway).

The 6 gal Raritan is $1,386.00 - yikes! It must be good :)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The 6 gal Raritan is $1,386.00 - yikes! It must be good :)
That's the list price in CD. I found several sites that have it as low as $645 USD (which would be $806 CD at today's rate of exchange. That still may be more than you want to pay, though.
But...you can save a fortune in shipping charges on all the stuff you buy from US sources by getting an address at a Mailboxes Etc or similar independent shop in the US...Niagara looks like the closest place for you. You'd still have to declare it at the border, but you'd save all those outrageous international shipping charges and "customs brokerage fees," etc, plus you'd get what you buy in days instead of weeks. The rent for the "mailbox" is cheap....it's finding the time to make the trip that's the challenge. I've known quite a few people who've gone in with dockmates to rent the box, then take turns "making the run" for everyone's stuff.

Apr 24, 2006
That's a good suggestion as Niagara Falls is only about 90 minutes away. Too bad I wasn't thinking "boat" when I drove to Florida and back this past December - could have even saved the duty...

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
There is a new 6 gallon Raritan water heater with heat exchanger listed in the classified section of this site. Shameless post! Sorry.

Apr 24, 2006
I'll check that out.

So other than Raritan, any thoughts on Atwood, seaward or Camco? I see Atwood or Seaward on 90% of the boats I've looked at.
I've read posts stating some of them are "crap" but no details as to what the problems were.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I've read posts stating some of them are "crap" but no details as to what the problems were.
As George Carlin once said, "My crap is "STUFF", and you're stuff is CRAP". It's all a matter of opinion- especially without facts to back it up. My Attwood is 12- same as my Jabsco head.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I put in a new Seaward 6 gallon water heater. The basic galvanized one; not stainless. I think it was around $350.(US), but that was five or six years ago. Biggest issue was getting the old one out and the new one in. They built the boat around it. Literally! It had to be cut out. Hope your access is easier.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am probably not average in water heater life but my old (1985) 6 gal Seaward still works fine.. probably because we never have to winterize one here.. it never sees air nor does it see antifreeze.. only nice clean water..

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I've read posts stating some of them are "crap" but no details as to what the problems were.
The main problems are metal cabinets that rust and galvanized metal tanks...when the galvanizing wears off, the only cure is a new water heater. The cheapest/shortest lived ones have aluminum cabinets and galvanized aluminum tanks...better ones have steel cabinets and galvanized steel tanks. The best ones have polymer cabinets that can't rust and glass lined tanks with replaceable anodes, thermostats and heating elements...so while more expensive, rarely if ever have to be replaced entirely.

Moisture and metal quality determine how long metal cabinets last...How long the galvanizing or anode lasts depends a lot on the mineral content of the water. You'll know it's failed when only your HOT water starts to smell like rotten eggs.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
only nice clean water..
:plus: the inevitable BUT...

You should consider YOUR normal water source's mineral, pH, Chorine control and how often you use Transient cruising water. You might take the expensive route for longevity.

@kloudie1 our local water is so sweet and soft, we can hardly rinse soap off on after our Saturday bath.
Jim...

PS: My Seaward 6 gallon is working well after 18 years.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
James, we have the same stuff .. nice and clean and soft, but not too soft.

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Another George Carlin musing ... why would you want to heat hot water?