Times Up?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Missed you last Wednesday.
Sorry I missed you John. Ash Wednesday evening mass took priority. Other than an overnighter, not much chance to get out until towards the end of June. Then out on the water for July and August, hopefully. Not sure where yet. I'll keep you posted.

Dec 8, 2013
Hunter / Aragosa 34 / 32 831 Toronto
At 67 and have been sailing for 35 years, I've always postulated that if I can't climb
over the lifelines it will be time to quit. My 32' steel cutter-rig (Canada) and Hunter34(Fl) are keeping me fit as well as a heavy bicycle. As others have noted here, keep moving, keep living. Sitting is deadly so ditch the Lazyboy recliner.
I want to wear out, not rust out.

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
If you didn't know when you were born, how old would you be? Tomorrow never comes, so enjoy every moment they are fleeting.

Dec 25, 2000
Thank you all for your generous contributions, insights and inspirational comments. This post really struck a cord here with so many out there either approaching there time or at least thinking about it. Not to worry as father time tends to kind of sneak up on us and when we're least expecting it, well...

So, my new normal is 80, which is six years away. That leaves me lots of time to enjoy Belle-Vie and all that she and the PNW waters have to offer. Then again that time of father may decide to sneak up on me and say, well...times up skipper.

I do hope that all this chatter has helped you on your quest to keep your spirits up, charging your battery when things get low and pushing that father time envelope. Goodness knows it arrives way too soon so it seems.

Dec 25, 2000
Colin, my Pacific Seacraft 34 boating buddy, turned 79 last month. Not that far away here; 75 in June. Maybe I need to push my new normal out a few years, say 85? So many things/places I want to do/go, but time just keeps ticking away. No worries about what tomorrow brings, just take today with all the vigor I can muster.
Alright, where did I misplace my vigor? :solame:

Just finished editing my latest cruising 2017 DVD. Next step is to burn it to disc for family distribution, then onto my You Tube channel. Another winter project about done.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
we are singing... "Grey sky's are going to clear up. Put on a happy face..."

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
At 67 and have been sailing for 35 years, I've always postulated that if I can't climb
over the lifelines it will be time to quit. My 32' steel cutter-rig (Canada) and Hunter34(Fl) are keeping me fit as well as a heavy bicycle. As others have noted here, keep moving, keep living. Sitting is deadly so ditch the Lazyboy recliner.
I want to wear out, not rust out.
Or, as Mr. J. Buffett sang, "...I'd rather die when I'm living than live when I'm dead..."

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Beer and Rum are preservatives.
Rum being the better choice if a long time is expected.

Did I say long time.. Oh I meant GOOD TIME.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
At almost 55, I too, am just getting started, I hope. My father spent his life on the water and called it quits at 76. I think he just didn't want to deal with the travel to and from the boat. We live 3 hours away from the coast and almost 5 hours away from the marina. He sailed around the world, had friends, from several countries, doing the same thing. My mother joined him less and less frequently.
At 81, he joined a gym and works out most mornings at 4am. I won't be surprised if, after he gets his knees replaced, he will decide he's up for a little more sailing.
Personally, I hope to be one of those sailors you guys all talk about after the news article is published about my tragic fall overboard at 90. "He shouldn't have been out there at that age." "When it's time to quit, I would know it." "He couldn't have had REAL experience. He was just a recreational cruiser. "
If you will know when it is time to quit, what are you sailing for in the first place? My father-in-law, an old retired trucker who always said that about driving, could not give up his car keys when he couldn't drive anymore.
I am certainly going to know when to quit but, by then, it will be too late.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Will, well words of wisdom. One thing about our boat, it gets my juices flowing. Incentives like that I suppose helps to keep one younger in spirit. I am grateful that my wife of almost fifty years encourages me to spend time on the boat where she is limited due to her ailing sister that lives with us. At the moment I'm waiting for a weather lull so that I can maybe spend some time on the water. Supposed to let up later today.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I figure this...
When I am a burden to the crew with my health, time retire from boating.

Otherwise, I bet you can be the "Vice Admiral" and let others run your boat and enjoy the ride.
Jim...