SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ME? My brain on boats...

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
It was going to be an easy peasy thing!
I was going to just buy a boat and turn sails around in the wind, with the rudder, and sail around with a smile on my face... wind in my hair... my lady by my side... tropical sunsets and all! :dancing:
Then YOU SAID...
"you really need to determine what you want your boat for"
"figure what you can afford then multiply that by a factor of 10 to the n'tenth!"
"Poke here, prod there, contort and cram into that.. have a good look around... then hire a Surveyor!"
"Take classes"
:poke:
Pretty soon things just sort of started rushing at me! :eek:
True and Relative Wind
Tack... Jibe... Close Haul... Beam Reach...
Head, Galley, Bilge, Through-Hull, Keel Bolts, Halyard, Boom Vang, Fair Lead...
Shore Power, AC, DC, ACDC, Galvanic Corrosion, Bonding (wasn't that supposed to happen on those sunny cruises with my girlfriend?), Gel Coat, 12V, 24V, amps... AND MORE AMPS...
:doh:
I'm taking sailing classes every weekend, rolling little boats over in the bay, dropping the main sheet so I can switch sides and move the tiller which slips out of my hand... we go into irons if we're lucky, then sit there.....
I'm spending minutes... hours... DAYS & NIGHTS... cruising sailing forums, "Ooh! A thread about whether one person likes eroding anit-fouling or hard anti-fouling, THERE'S ANOTHER ONE about what kills mold best! WAAAAAIT! I gotta make sure I read that one about bedding deck hardware!..."
Meanwhile by 3am in the morning.. .my girlfriend is all like... :snooze: .... "when did SHE get here? :redface:
Now I'm checking my credit card accounts for any pennies I can squeak out for yet another purchase... "for the boat"... and even realizing I'm BROKE :yikes:.... I still dive into the online catalogs... making up orders for "STUFF I REALLY NEED!"... or think I do anyway... :confused:
Then I hit SAVE ON WISHLIST! and keep getting my email inbox full of emails like, "Did you forget something in your wishlist? Make that purchase today and get 1% off!"
I carry around notebooks and 5x7 index cards so I can pause with whatever I'm supposed to be doing in my life because I thought of a new ELECTRICAL WIRING issue/idea and I want to figure out the Amps/Watts... "... this is going on the 12v side... no... wait... the 120v side.... wait... maybe I can add another shorepower cord AND 6 new batteries... separate all 9 power circuits to be redundant but switchable as backup in case one fails... with 500 gigawatts more solar and wind power... geez! I can't wait until civilians can get their hands on that new fusion power system!..."
So... as you can see... my foray into boat ownership?.... well... THE FUN NEVER ENDS! :D:laugh::yeah::thumbup::twisted::dancing:

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
It was going to be an easy peasy thing!
I was going to just buy a boat and turn sails around in the wind, with the rudder, and sail around with a smile on my face... wind in my hair... my lady by my side... tropical sunsets and all! :dancing:
Then YOU SAID...
"you really need to determine what you want your boat for"
"figure what you can afford then multiply that by a factor of 10 to the n'tenth!"
"Poke here, prod there, contort and cram into that.. have a good look around... then hire a Surveyor!"
"Take classes"
:poke:
Pretty soon things just sort of started rushing at me! :eek:
True and Relative Wind
Tack... Jibe... Close Haul... Beam Reach...
Head, Galley, Bilge, Through-Hull, Keel Bolts, Halyard, Boom Vang, Fair Lead...
Shore Power, AC, DC, ACDC, Galvanic Corrosion, Bonding (wasn't that supposed to happen on those sunny cruises with my girlfriend?), Gel Coat, 12V, 24V, amps... AND MORE AMPS...
:doh:
I'm taking sailing classes every weekend, rolling little boats over in the bay, dropping the main sheet so I can switch sides and move the tiller which slips out of my hand... we go into irons if we're lucky, then sit there.....
I'm spending minutes... hours... DAYS & NIGHTS... cruising sailing forums, "Ooh! A thread about whether one person likes eroding anit-fouling or hard anti-fouling, THERE'S ANOTHER ONE about what kills mold best! WAAAAAIT! I gotta make sure I read that one about bedding deck hardware!..."
Meanwhile by 3am in the morning.. .my girlfriend is all like... :snooze: .... "when did SHE get here? :redface:
Now I'm checking my credit card accounts for any pennies I can squeak out for yet another purchase... "for the boat"... and even realizing I'm BROKE :yikes:.... I still dive into the online catalogs... making up orders for "STUFF I REALLY NEED!"... or think I do anyway... :confused:
Then I hit SAVE ON WISHLIST! and keep getting my email inbox full of emails like, "Did you forget something in your wishlist? Make that purchase today and get 1% off!"
I carry around notebooks and 5x7 index cards so I can pause with whatever I'm supposed to be doing in my life because I thought of a new ELECTRICAL WIRING issue/idea and I want to figure out the Amps/Watts... "... this is going on the 12v side... no... wait... the 120v side.... wait... maybe I can add another shorepower cord AND 6 new batteries... separate all 9 power circuits to be redundant but switchable as backup in case one fails... with 500 gigawatts more solar and wind power... geez! I can't wait until civilians can get their hands on that new fusion power system!..."
So... as you can see... my foray into boat ownership?.... well... THE FUN NEVER ENDS! :D:laugh::yeah::thumbup::twisted::dancing:
Omg, you are me! Only I keep my notes on my phone.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
...and then something like this happens!!! Sail your boat with what it has and enjoy. Get the important things done first, like rigging and sails and safety. Work on the "make her pretty and more functional for me" things a little at a time. Sail your boat. The enjoyment will not go away...and well, neither will the maintenance things...but being Captain has its personal rewards.

Wayne

IMG_0076.JPG

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Like another thread said "at least your not wasting money on drugs, hookers and booze"

Jun 4, 2004
Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39 Edgewater, MD
I agree, pop a few of those meds you've forgotten and just get out on your boat. You can bling her out later...lol!!:pimp:

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
I like to think I'm almost ready to take her out!
But...
Found out why the o/b didn't run the day we finalized the sale... the fuse in the motor head was blown... and corroded to the fuse-holder... the spark plug wires were dried and cracked... plus some corrosion elsewhere that I've cleaned up.
Yesterday I finally pulled out the 'wall carpet' from the quarter-berth and the v-berth so I can see the purty FG behind it! Plus... all that moldy fabric is out of the boat!
Removed the 'furniture' in the quarter-berth and the sole, so I could clean all the mess up from under/behind that.
Hopefully next week I'll have all the DC back in order and the o/b back to running!
THEN.. I can see about taking her out for a sail :)
In the meantime... I have one more day of sailing classes aboard a Coronado 15... I think it's some sorta special Quartermeran?... then I can rent out little boats from our Aquatic Center.
I got one of my brilliant ideas the other day.... for my kid's birthday... buy her a 2-day Basic Sailing & Seamanship Course through a school where she lives!
Maybe plan it to coincide with my bigger plans for myself!
I'm looking at taking their 8-day Bareboat Certification Course!
Figured if I could do that successfully.... I'd come back home and be much more prepared to sail with folks from the local Yacht Club and others aboard my boat and theirs.
DSC_4126.JPG DSC_4124.JPG DSC_4125.JPG DSC_4123.JPG DSC_4122.JPG

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
You haven't had fun until you've stripped your bottom. Add that to your list. :biggrin:
My Mom used to stripe my bottom with a BIG OLE BELT... she'd lay into me an.... OH... STRIPPED!
Can we just mark it off together on YOUR list? ;)
I'm planning on hauling her out later on... Summer maybe... oh! and I mean my boat... not my Mom!
I'm hoping my keel is nice soft and fluffy so if any sea life bump into me they don't hurt their wittle hayds! ;)
Before I put in the electric propulsion unit... I want to make sure the shaft, prop, stem and all are in good shape.
I'll be taking a look at the iron keel overall, and where it mates to the hull.
I was thinking yesterday I might paint just below the waterline... leaving the topsides for next year, but buffing them up?
Oh... and checking out the knotmeter, any throughhulls below waterline......

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
As a wise old friend of mine instructed years ago "make a list of all the things you want to do on the boat, on three equal pages...... then do all those on page one, throw the other two pages awash and go sailing