Amazing tactical perspective on a race.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Here is an entire TP52 Super Series race, Hot mic'ed and from multi-angles. Amazing vid, if you have a hour- watch it on the big screen. The main dialog is between Terry Hutchinson (tactics) and Bora Gulari (driver). Also with the navigator who is giving times to lines.

Last edited:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Saw it on SA. Circling at the start was interesting. Hard part was telling which boat it was from the air.

Nov 8, 2010
Saw it on SA. Circling at the start was interesting. Hard part was telling which boat it was from the air.
That was fun. T-hutch was pissed at his navigator. Too soon to the line. Quantum boat always has green on its sails.

Nov 8, 2010
That was the Navigator's tablet running the Ockam software. He had an alarm on it that barked. T-Hutch finally had enough of the mutt near the end of the 2nd upwind. barking aside, it's a great system for calling times!

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Quantum deserves some kudos for what they are doing so openly.

Nov 8, 2010
Quantum deserves some kudos for what they are doing so openly.
It's great to watch, mostly due to the time in the prep and video production. All the crew interactions, and all the calls; good and bad. You can see that they totally missed the lay line call on the 2nd upwind due to a shift... you can hear Terry say sadly 'I didn't see that happening' as they triple-tack to the mark.

Then he chides driver Bora, who is an Olympic sailor for the USA, with the comment 'Watch the corkscrew Bora'. ;^)

The majority of the race is pretty standard interactions and calls, no trade secrets there!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I saw this at SA also and watched most of it and found it fascinating. The conversation between them really interesting, though I need to watch it many more time to get close to understanding it all. Gosh, it took me a lot of time just to ID Terry!!!