Electric Anchor Windlass for C30

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 30mk1 Plattsburgh
Hi there. I want to install an electric anchor windlass on my Catalina 30, 1986, bowsprit version.

From what I've been reading, this is not the ideal boat for a windlass. That maybe true, but i can't continue pulling it up. I have a 35lb all chain CQR. I don't want to go lighter, but my lower back won't co-operate anymore.

I've seen an example of a retrofit here; http://www.catalina30.com/TechLib/technical.htm.

But, I've also seen pictures of horizontal windlasses mounted on a bowsprit. A configuration like that wouldn't take away any space from my deck. Does any one know anything about this? How does that work?

I have a bowsprit (see pics). Could a horiztonal windlass be installed directly on that wooden bowsprit? Would it be strong enough? I wouldn't want to wreck my bowsprit. I guess the chain would just run through the existing chain locker as it is, without any need for a modification?

If this is possible, any idea on a horiztonal windlass that would fit in that area on the bowsprit and be sufficiently powerfull?

Thanks.

Attachments

Apr 21, 2014
Catalina 30 Alameda
Scevrog,

My C30 (no bow sprit) has a Lewmar capstan mounted in the chain locker with a foot control nearby. The installation required a hefty backing plate on the aft wall of the chain locker for strength and stiffness. This set-up works well, but I don't like not being able to open the locker hatch to watch and make sure the incoming rode flakes correctly. I may modify the hatch so it can be opened during use in the future.
You're right - this is a back-saver!
(I have added a few pictures of the windlass installation to my photo album....)

Good luck-

Last edited:

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I too have debated on adding a windless. But if you see the setup on c30skpr, the windless is mounted on the deck, not a sprit. Your sprit appears to be original, & after 30 + - years of wear, I would be a lil' wary of putting even more stress on a wooden sprit. There is an awful lot of tension on that old piece of wood, that has to carry the load of the forestay, roller furling gear, the lower stay & a 35 lb. CQR anchor & all chain rode? I would consider replacing the wooden section of your sprit before adding extra weight or stress load on it. I have heard of wooden sprits cracking & failing on C 30's & it can cause a dismasting, if it occurs (hopefully won't happen!). I know that I am guilty too of leaving old wood in place too long, as I believe that my mast spreaders may be original too, but I have re-varnished them, but one of these days I'll have to bite the bullet & replace them. A 35 lb. CQR is a heck of a lot of hook to throw overboard. Have you considered downsizing a bit to save your back? I use a 20 lb. Danforth style with 10 feet of chain & it has never let me down, unless you're looking to stay put on the hook, in a gale.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
At my marina, one of the owners of a 1990 Catalina 30 installed the windlass inside the anchor locker. The windlass was braced in the locker on a metal plate, hidden away. The foot pedal activator was mounted flush on deck. Great set up. I believe Jim wrote an article on it in last years Mainsheet on the installation.

Bob
Lake Lanier, GA

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Look up "Anchor float and retrieval system" online at Amazon. Solves your problem for 70 dollars! You can also buy just the ring and use your fenders for the flotation. I have used this system for years and it is great! Chief

tim61

Sep 17, 2013
Catalina 30 MKI West Bath, ME
I installed a Lewmar 700 on my 84 Std Rig
C30skpr - I was thinking of installing a Lemar 700 like you have setup. However I have concerns as the anchor locker is kind of shallow. How is it working for you?

Dec 12, 2014
Catalina C30 Stockton
C30skpr - I was thinking of installing a Lemar 700 like you have setup. However I have concerns as the anchor locker is kind of shallow. How is it working for you?
working fine, 1/4 chain doesn't take up much room, so I have 100ft of chain 200ft of rode. I am mostly on chain so that is up front of chain locker, rode curled up behind it, so far I've only used chain so it hasn't been a problem, haven't gotten into using rode yet....

Sep 2, 2009
Hunter Vision-32 New Hamburg, NY
Chief ... does this work with a chain rode???

Look up "Anchor float and retrieval system" online at Amazon. Solves your problem for 70 dollars! You can also buy just the ring and use your fenders for the flotation. I have used this system for years and it is great! Chief
chain or rope rode??

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Echo, It looks like your C 30 is a standard rig with a modified bowsprit which you made yourself? I like how the windless is mounted to the wood sprit, rather then just the deck & core. It also gives a good place to store that big anchor.

Dec 2, 2012
I have a 1991 Cat 30 tall rig. In 2008 I installed a Maxwell 500 VW windlass.
It is a vertical one but it was installed horizontal. Catalina Yachts sent us a drawing of the install in the anchor locker, it was for a C30, C36 and C42.
My locker has a moulded section for a Danforth anchor on the Stbd. side of the well. On the aft part is a raised portion from the centre line to the stbd side aft of the Danforth saddle. Its a couple of inches lower than the boat deck. The vertical wall has a thickness of approx. 2 inches. Two pieces of 3/4 in. plywood plus fiberglass sandwich. Lots of strength for a windlass. I cut a hole in the V Berth bulkhead for access inside the boat. Now covered with a piece of board and 4 screws.
The UP sw is mounted on the horizontal surface inside the anchor well. I didn't use a down sw. The locker cover can now be closed. I have a 15 KG (33 lbs) Bruce and use 70 ft 1/4 G4 chain plus 200 ft 1/2 in brait. The Anchor sits on the anchor roller on the bowsprit. I drilled a hole in the anchor to insert a pin to hold the anchor on the roller.
To anchor I open the locker door and pin it open. Undo the anchor pin, loosen enough chain to hang the anchor over the bow. My wife and I use hand signals. When we are in position I let go of the chain and carry out the rest of the operation. In retrieving the anchor I sit on the deck with my feet in the locker and operate the switch with my right heel, the only problem is the chain bundles under the gypsy, so I have to stop the UP operation and kick the chain forward to fall in the well. We spent a year in the Bahamas where we anchored out all the time and the last two summer the boat is in the North Channel and Georgian Bay again 90% anchoring.
I mounted a cleat on the aft wall of the anchor well to attach the bitter end of the anchor lines. I use a 1/2 in nylon twist snubber for the chain.

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
I am thinking of doing the same set up oldnewfxxx. Is it possible to get a picture of your install? Thanks

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
At my marina, one of the owners of a 1990 Catalina 30 installed the windlass inside the anchor locker. The windlass was braced in the locker on a metal plate, hidden away. The foot pedal activator was mounted flush on deck. Great set up. I believe Jim wrote an article on it in last years Mainsheet on the installation.

Bob
Lake Lanier, GA
+1 on this, as its what I have. I'll post up some photos next time I am at the boat.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Catalina 34 windlass photo.jpg My '87 mkII came with on that looks just like this in the locker (pic is not of my boat), no idea what it is? Catalina 34 windlass photo.jpg

Just thinking out of the box, but have you considered a manual windlass?
Maybe there's something cheaper used you can find?

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Thanks for the manual windlass links. I was looking at the Lofrans manual job on Defender myself.

Adding a battery to starboard side settee and running the number 6 forward for the 30 to 50 amps (depending on load) in addition to all the deck holes and wiring issues and long term corrosion concerns with an electric motor forward make me consider manual more and more. Looking at new it would save some money but not a awful lot.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Saw these at the local swap meet last weekend. Forgot to ask how much but I'm sure they were cheap.

Attachments

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I'd love a windlass, but we sail on a man-made lake. I've caught trees a few times (All cut to be 20' below full pool.) and buried it deep in red clay once. Not sure a windlass would have helped in any of those situations.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure a windlass would have helped in any of those situations.
Probably not. Breaking an anchor free from the red clay, is done using the buoyancy of the boat. You can also tie an aide, a line and a float to the anchor base so you can pull it up and out of the mud.