Last of winter sail

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Yesterday was the last day of winter and perfect for sailing. Went out about noon and headed in around 4:30. Wind started out about 7-10 and ended up 15-18 when we finally called it quits. Had some co-workers out 1 from Long Beach Ca another from India. Had a nice beat to the north end of Hat Island, then practiced jibing all the way back to the mid-channel bouy.

I was in a t shirt. The others more accustomed to warm weather had jackets on. But it was great day to be out on the water

Les

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
But it was great day to be out on the water
Definitely was! I took a few friends and visitors out for a couple hours later afternoon around the downtown area. Nearly perfect conditions.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Went out about noon and headed in around 4:30.
Yesterday was my running day around Mukilteo. While out about the time you were enjoying the water I viewed a few sail boats, probably you and others, hoping here to soon be back on the water. Spring break coming up the second week in April. Woohoo.

May 20, 2016
We were tacking up the whidby side of hat Island and catching up to another Cat 36 out pointing higher and slightly faster. I have to keep reminding myself I'm not interested in racing and this boat is my cruiser.

Dec 25, 2000
We were tacking up the whidby side of hat Island and catching up to another Cat 36 out pointing higher and slightly faster. I have to keep reminding myself I'm not interested in racing and this boat is my cruiser.
No interest in racing here either. But our flotilla includes a Freedom 32 noted for its speed. In light wind he could most always out pace me, but otherwise, not. On our way to the next anchorage I would be constantly tweaking trim to either keep up or outpace, as I kept telling myself, not racing here, not racing. :rolleyes:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Some of the boats you saw may have been members of the Milltown Yacht Club returning from their race/cruise to Port Ludow and back. It was a rabbit race. All start at specified times. Everyone you pass you beat. First one home wins.

While you guys were having fun, I was frying the new fuse trying to start my engine. Fortunately Les stopped by on Monday and help figure out the issue. Putting too many amps through too small of a fuse for the 50HP Perkins I have on board. With his insight we got the engine running. Next good day I can do a start of season test sail... Oh boy am I ready. Now if the weather would just warm a bit so I can install the two, new to me, self tailing winches and auto pilot.

Dec 25, 2000
Now if the weather would just warm a bit
Made plans to head out for a weekend cruise. Weather forecast looked uncertain. Went to the boat Friday amidst a blow and it remained most of the night. Awoke to rain and more rain. Rained most of the day. Decided to not go out in this miserable weather. :(

Instead I spent over two hours finally, finally, finally getting the stuffing box adjusted. Grr. Last time out I could not get the locking nut to move; the box rotated, but I had to get the lock nut to loosen so that I could tighten the box. So soaked it in Liquid Wrench and left for another day. That day was Friday night. Bound and determined to make it happen. Tapped and more Liquid Wrench, then tapped again. Then alas a slight movement when I turned it counter clockwise. So, back and forth, back and forth until I was able to obtain a complete rotation. Now I have a no drip box again while the shaft is turning.

My question for the day is, what anti-seizing compound works for you? Our local Harbor Marine had several choices, but before I did, pose the question here for opinions.

Stuffing Box.jpg

Working on this creature is a PITA. Have to crawl in over the engine arms first, hang over the engine in order to reach in far enough to get the wrenches on. Even with wrench handle extenders could not get that nut to budge. But persistence prevailed.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
I've not had to tackle it yet - but for that application I would look for a copper based anti-seize.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have been using "Corrosion Block" comes in a spray and a lube gel.
My rigger likes Lanakote.

Dec 25, 2000
My rigger likes Lanakote.
Almost bought the Lanakote paste version. Probably go that route. Corrosion Block was recommended by the store guy. Also looked like it might do the job.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I thought a stuffing box was supposed to drip with a turning shaft. It uses water as a lubricant. Or have I been wrong all these years?

May 20, 2016
It should drip 1-2 times per minute when running. It can be dripless when the shaft isn't turning

Dec 25, 2000
I thought a stuffing box was supposed to drip with a turning shaft.
Hi Michael, perhaps others will weigh in here. I've read that it is not so much that water is the lubricate, but that water contains oxygen and that the absence of oxygen around SS induces a corrosive affect upon it. No metallurgist here, just passing along comments from those who claim to know...

Jan 5, 2017
Hi Terry
We always set up pumps in the paper-mill to drip when running so I've always done my stuffing box the same way. I would have thought that the shaft would over-heat, maybe change the temper, if no drip. I always thought SS had to "breathe" as well but I noticed this week that some boats were painting their shafts with anti-fouling paint. Maybe some new alloy?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I always let em drip about one drip every 30 sec. see how warm it gets under cruising load (by feel). Should not be much warmer than static. Permatex makes a nice copper antiseize. I use it on my injector bodies

Dec 25, 2000
I would have thought that the shaft would over-heat, maybe change the temper, if no drip.
Hi Michael, perhaps a concern appropriate with the plain flax packing, but the new PTFE stuff with teflon acts as a very low friction material. Even with no drip while the shaft spins, box is cool to the touch.

Jan 5, 2017
Thanks Terry, that's good to know. Not sure about a dripless or a repack this fall.